• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC coin Graded Obv.Struck thru - Question?

6 posts in this topic

Just received my Buffalo 5C from NGC. I knew it was a Mint Error when I submitted the coin. It was graded as an Obverse Struck Thru Mint Error AU55. The struck thru caused the Buffalo Nickel to have "no date". Just curious what the value of this coin might be, if any. I have not photographed the coin yet, but here is the NGC number pertaining to the coin in question. #3703552-008. My Daddy found this coin in the late 1940's and was given to me around 1968. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Best guess?

It was probably the result of a grease-filled die. Grease and debris can combine and become compacted in the recess of the die. If left alone, it can continue to build up, preventing metal to flow into the recess to form the date.

Chris

Grease-filled dies are the most common source of Strike Thru errors, so their value can be much lower than coins struck through other types of debris. You also lost the date due to this error, which greatly reduces the value.

Actually, relatively minor mint errors like this often go without any attribution, and I wonder if this piece was labeled simply because the date is missing, and that circumstance begs an explanation on an AU55 Buffalo nickel.

The coin is really a nice struck coin. Looks like it was a coin that was meant to be minted without a date. Which I know was not the case. The coin is more of a sentimental coin because my Dad's favorite coin was the Buffalo Nickel! And I was really surprised the coin came back with a AU55 grade. Is a numerical grade uncommon on a strike thru?

Is a numerical grade uncommon on a strike thru?

I wouldn't think so as long as it isn't classified as a problem coin, but since error coins, in general, are not identified as a separate group in the Census, there is no way of knowing how many there may be.

Chris