• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

79 Philly

25 posts in this topic

67 for me too. Very nice!

Well after looking at the values I feel confident that they went MS66+ tops.

MS-66 although it might be better.

Grading Mint State coins from photographs is always a hard, and as the grade gets higher, it becomes impossible to set a precise number.

This is one of several I picked up from Don (FilthyHoard) last year.

I first picked up an 81S in MS67 from him and then asked him which coin, from what he had remaining, was conservatively graded. He pointed to this coin. It's in an older holder and is graded 65. Don said it was under-graded, I feel it is as well.

The only marks that might be holding it back are the hits in the eyebrow area, and the ding on the bridge of the nose. There are some small hits in the field on the obverse but the reverse looks 66+/67 to me.

She looks like at least a 66 to me and I think I'll see what CAC has to say. I'd be very happy with a GOLD bean on this one!

Thanks for your opinions guys.

The images make the coin look like a 66+ at a minimum. However, going by the odds - 1879 P examples are rarely that nice - my guess is that the coin does not look as good in person.

This is one of several I picked up from Don (FilthyHoard) last year.

I first picked up an 81S in MS67 from him and then asked him which coin, from what he had remaining, was conservatively graded. He pointed to this coin. It's in an older holder and is graded 65. Don said it was under-graded, I feel it is as well.

The only marks that might be holding it back are the hits in the eyebrow area, and the ding on the bridge of the nose. There are some small hits in the field on the obverse but the reverse looks 66+/67 to me.

She looks like at least a 66 to me and I think I'll see what CAC has to say. I'd be very happy with a GOLD bean on this one!

Thanks for your opinions guys.

It sounds like a score to me! I wish I would have seen that one Don's list! Let us know what CAC says. I would be very surprised if it doesn't come back with a gold bean based on those photos.

The images make the coin look like a 66+ at a minimum. However, going by the odds - 1879 P examples are rarely that nice - my guess is that the coin does not look as good in person.

The chatter over the eye is the reason it's in a 65 holder. The rest of the coin is 66 easy, IMO.

Just doesn't look bad enough to be down graded to a 65 to me. There is a fairly significant jump in value from 65-66 - does that play into the decision of grade?

I don't think it should but...... does it?

P.S. Are those Don's photos? They look like his photos.

No, I took these with a 105 sigma macro lens.

I went back to the original thread and found Don's Images.

These are his -

1879morganobv-horz.jpg

The chatter over the eye and the ding on the bridge of the nose must be the reason for a 65. (shrug)

The chatter over the eye is the reason it's in a 65 holder. The rest of the coin is 66 easy, IMO.

Just doesn't look bad enough to be down graded to a 65 to me. There is a fairly significant jump in value from 65-66 - does that play into the decision of grade?

I don't think it should but...... does it?

I have seen several condition rarities that I thought were treated fairly harshly because of the difference in value between grades, but at the same time, I have also seen some that were optimistically graded so it works both ways. Coin grading is subjective. In theory the value should not be dispositive.

With this said, if the original photographs are accurate, I struggle to see why it is only in a 65 holder. MS66+ is the minimum, and as I said, I would call it MS67. I might feel differently in hand.

P.S. Are those Don's photos? They look like his photos.

No, I took these with a 105 sigma macro lens.

I went back to the original thread and found Don's Images.

These are his -

1879morganobv-horz.jpg

The chatter over the eye and the ding on the bridge of the nose must be the reason for a 65. (shrug)

There are contact marks that didn't show before. Are there any more? I would definitely lower my original assessment based on the new images. I would call it MS66 tops.

Thanks Kenny - like I said earlier. I think she's a 66.

One more question. Submit to CAC or NGC grade review?

Given the price difference between the two grades, I would resubmit the coin to NGC (in the original holder!) if the coin was mine. NGC will crack it out before regarding it, so don't worry about bias, etc.

Also, the two photos show the marks and their severity differently, making it harder for me to integrate the visual data between the two photos. While I still think it could/should 66, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back in a 65+ holder in which case I would rather have the 65+ CAC rather than a 65 CAC from a marketing perspective. The former would be worth more registry points, and the odds are that you could find a label shopper to buy it from you at a huge premium over the 65 label without a designation should you ever decide to sell it. If it comes back as a 66, I think a 66 would outsell a 65 CAC gold sticker should that be an issue (this would be a rare case where I think the coins would be priced differently).

Even though I find that a gold sticker often bumps a Coin's price to MORE than its price in the next grade up, in this case I agree with Kenny. A 66 would sell for more than a 65 with gold sticker.

I would send it in to NGC to review. Even a bump to MS65+ would be a nice upgrade.

The two little hits everyone points to are in areas where they're hard to spot. For that reason they should score minimally. The chatter under the chin and bottom center on the reverse are (in my opinion) the major factors. I think NGC will reconsider it and assign an MS 66. It's obviously good enough.

66+

I don't like saying 67 from images as part of it's certainly luster dependent, but that looks like it could 67 and I wouldn't look twice.