• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many Coins Do You Have ?

39 posts in this topic

I think one of the big splits among collectors/investors is the number of coins one owns. Obviously, serious collectors who look to have numerous (complete) sets especially among less-expensive coins like pennies and nickels are going to accumulate many more coins. Someone concentrating more on bullion is likely to have a smaller collection.

I never had the time -- or money or space -- to be like one of these collectors with thousands of coins. Since I was more interested in the investment aspects when I started about 12 years ago, I have gone more for quality than quantity.

So....how many coins do YOU have ? Include precious metals bars as coins since each one could have been swapped for a similar metallic coin.

My collection is very small. I have about 50 coins off the top of my head, with about 15 being gold coins of various sizes (1/20th oz. - 1 oz.) and some classics (Saints).

Not sure of the number but I think I'm around 1600 coins. A lot of these sit in my 14 Danscos. Then my proof set of 1955-date. Then all my registry jeffersons and misc stuff.

NOYB. ;)
I have to agree with Brandon. What difference does it make? Chris

It doesn't make a difference, I just thought since it was obvious from some of the posts here that we have different types of 'collectors'.......that it would be interesting to see who was more of a 'classic' collector going for lots of coins, sets, etc.....and those who like me are buy-a-coin-here-and-there and plain bullion investors.

Just thought it would be interesting to see and compare, wasn't looking for detailed financial, coin, or numismatic information. :grin:

~ 65% of my coins are numismatic based ~ 35% are pure bullion

Edited to add: 95% of my numismatic based coins are in TPG holders.

About 1/2 of my silver coins are slabbed, none of my gold bullion, all of my Saints.

Since you edited, I will to: I didn't include a 'hoard' that my mother gave me that came from her parents (my grandparents) that is basically just Wheat Pennies, Silver Dollars, and some stray Peace/Morgans. It's probably about 500 coins with most of the silver coins worth melt value.

I probably should go through every coin and see if any are valuable but it's very time-consuming and tedious. Maybe my nieces or nephew can help me out. :grin:

Not sure I want to sell them anyway, kinda has some sentimental value since they're from my grandparents. I wish I had asked my grandfather (born in 1904, died 2001) about gold coins when he was alive. He was in the Merchant Marine and I'll bet he utilized gold coins and probably saw many others overseas.

Can of worms, some people dont like to discuss this.

What can ? :grin:

Someone doesn't want to discuss it, they don't discuss it. It wasn't made a condition of membership. I just thought it was something that would tell a bit more about ourselves to our fellow collectors.

We have people post details on coins costing thousands of dollars...posting pics....I didn't ask for a detailed description, inventory, and location of the collection. :grin:

Just thought it would tell a bit about ourselves in a roundabout manner.

NOYB. ;)

I have to agree with Brandon. What difference does it make?

Chris

Have ya'll had your coffee yet? lol

Bobby, I had plenty from 3am-6am, but the laundry still needs to be done.

Chris

NOYB. ;)

I have to agree with Brandon. What difference does it make?

Chris

Have ya'll had your coffee yet? lol

Bobby, I had plenty from 3am-6am, but the laundry still needs to be done.

Chris

I just finished laundry. lol

Emphasizing my point -- and also reflecting on the 'How many collectors there are?' thread -- the 2 guys I went to the Parsippany Coin Show on Sunday were diametrically opposite.

One guy has thousands of coins, including lots of recent collectibles, but also hundreds and hundreds of older coins from the late-1800's through the 1970's.

The other guy was closer to me, a few dozen coins, mostly gold but including some $50 - $300 coins like Morgan Dollars, and excluding his ASE's for which he has a few hundred and considers that a bullion investment.

I honesty don't know how many I have. I inherited a "hoard" from my grandmother that I am still picking through... My good well meaning but numismatically uneducated mother gave me a shopping bag full the state quarters, sure that I will strike it rich when I go through them...talk about tedious....I can help out Bobby with the laundry though :D

I have added my own coins I have picked up here and there... So I don't really know.... More than 10 and less than a million is my best guess.

I honesty don't know how many I have. I inherited a "hoard" from my grandmother that I am still picking through... My good well meaning but numismatically uneducated mother gave me a shopping bag full the state quarters, sure that I will strike it rich when I go through them...talk about tedious....I can help out Bobby with the laundry though :D I have added my own coins I have picked up here and there... So I don't really know.... More than 10 and less than a million is my best guess.

It IS tedious....but at some point I will probably go through all the coins I referenced above. Why get a few bucks for something if it is worth $50 or maybe if you are lucky $300, right ?

I have maybe 400 total, most being common Washies, Franklies and Morgans. I have a handfull of silver bars and some sets. All told just a few thousand dollars worth (give or take a few thousand).

I can understand some being guarded. All scared that the guvment wants to know what they're up to. Too much Rush Limbaugh?

I have a lot. I have a hoard of wheats, rolls and rolls and rolls. I have a bag of nickels I pulled from circulation as a young boy, anything before 1960. I have every foreign coin I pulled from circulation. I collected every denomination every type of coin I could from every country I visited whilst in the Navy. Most are worth but mere cents if that, but my accumulation is quite large.

I have probably on the order of 2000 coins. Zero of them are bullion-related (in fact, I own zero gold coins).

The "quantity of coins" factor can be very deceptive. Of my 2000 coins, at least half are worth only around a dollar, and of the 1000 left, probably half of those are only worth $10 or less.

I have maybe 400 total, most being common Washies, Franklies and Morgans. I have a handfull of silver bars and some sets. All told just a few thousand dollars worth (give or take a few thousand).

I can understand some being guarded. All scared that the guvment wants to know what they're up to. Too much Rush Limbaugh?

Gee, I think you are paranoid.....

The NSA listens to all your phone calls, the IRS decides who and who doesn't get non profit status based on the whims of the President who feels he can kill any Americans he deems to be a potential terrorist, and the IRS controls all your health information... Why on earth would you think the government would care about what "you're up to" with your coins?

Sheesh... ya... too much Limbaugh.... definitely... :whistle:

If I say I have 3,000 coins, 2990 can be pennies and nickels all worth a bit over face value. :grin: Doesn't really say much, right?

Don't forget, it was FDR who BANNED the private ownership of gold. And then re-valued it upwards by 70%. Amazing when you think about it....like confiscating private property and paying under fair market value.

90 in my primary set.

I have two leather bound three ring notebooks with 5 pages each of 9 slot plastic baseball card pages. http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Pocket-Page-Protectors/dp/B005HIOVOG

PCGS and NCG slabs fit perfectly in these plastic baseball card pages, so I can display 9 coins per page. Each notebook contains 45 slabbed coins. When I upgrade, one coin comes out and the new one goes in. While I have other coins, this is where I keep my A-list coins.

90 in my primary set. I have two leather bound three ring notebooks with 5 pages each of 9 slot plastic baseball card pages. p://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Pocket-Page-Protectors/dp/B005HIOVOG

PCGS and NCG slabs fit perfectly in these plastic baseball card pages, so I can display 9 coins per page. Each notebook contains 45 slabbed coins. When I upgrade, one coin comes out and the new one goes in. While I have other coins, this is where I keep my A-list coins.

I bought 2 of those Lighthouse wooden slab holders, one a 50 and the other a 25-holder. I'm using maybe 10 of those slots, but figure I have enough space to grow into them.

Most of my coins -- bullion, some inherited Peace/Morgans in plastic 'squares', and others still in their OGP -- aren't in slabs.

90 in my primary set.

I have two leather bound three ring notebooks with 5 pages each of 9 slot plastic baseball card pages. http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Pocket-Page-Protectors/dp/B005HIOVOG

Yes... but did you purchase the Pokemon 3 ring binder to go with them!! lol Sorry couldn't resist. I like that though, I'll have to consider that purchase.

I stand corrected: I updated my Excel spreadsheet and I have purchased directly 61 coins of various sizes, ranging from 1/20th oz. to 5 oz.

That doesn't include the rolls given to me by my grandfather/grandmother which are pure silver, Kennedy 90%/40%, and some Wheat pennies. A few hundred more there...they're still in the rolls with my grandfather's handwriting on them, some sentimental value there.

Probably the silver coins are mostly melt, doubt much in the way of numismatic value. Not sure about the Wheats, might be a valuable one or two but probably VF/EF condition at best so probably nothing even approaching$100.