• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This smells fishy

28 posts in this topic

I figured it out, it says COPY under the chin, so its fake

I figured it might one of these "VALUABLE" copies of the Buffalo gold, although those were usually dated 1929 to make them "extra special."

the listing is very problematic. nowhere in the listing it is mentioned that it's a copy. and i suspect the seller posted small blurry pics to mislead the bidders.what he's doing is wrong.

but it's not a fake coin. it's simply a copy = replica, and marked as such boldly.

i've sold a few of these on ebay before they banned the replicas from the coins & paper money section (obviously describing them as copies in bold capital letters so there's no misunderstanding...). as long as the buyer knows what he's purchasing, i don't think it's wrong to sell these.

even the mint in Philadelphia sell (oversized) copy coins at their gift shop

the listing is very problematic. nowhere in the listing it is mentioned that it's a copy. and i suspect the seller posted small blurry pics to mislead the bidders.what he's doing is wrong.

but it's not a fake coin. it's simply a copy = replica, and marked as such boldly.

i've sold a few of these on ebay before they banned the replicas from the coins & paper money section (obviously describing them as copies in bold capital letters so there's no misunderstanding...). as long as the buyer knows what he's purchasing, i don't think it's wrong to sell these.

Got you.

I got a Two Face coin (from Batman) and I guess if I ever sell it can say it is a copy of a 1922 Liberty dollar. I think using Fake will kill any sale of any item.

Got you.

I got a Two Face coin (from Batman) and I guess if I ever sell it can say it is a copy of a 1922 Liberty dollar. I think using Fake will kill any sale of any item.

my point is that "fake" is a copy that is made to for the purpose of selling it as if it were the real deal, for the price of the real deal.

or are you saying there is no difference whatsoever between the Chinese counterfeits that are made to fool people out of money, and the American-made copies that bear the word "COPY" on them?

So, I see you asked a question, and it was "hidden".

Who decides to hide something on that site? Admins? Seller?

The guy, and the way he answers the questions, is obviously a crook as he knows what he is doing and is playing dumb....stating it is already packaged and just waiting for an address so he can't get any other picture or info from the coin.

And stating that his camera is dead and his phone can't do better...that is BS.

So, I see you asked a question, and it was "hidden".

Who decides to hide something on that site? Admins? Seller?

The guy, and the way he answers the questions, is obviously a crook as he knows what he is doing and is playing dumb....stating it is already packaged and just waiting for an address so he can't get any other picture or info from the coin.

And stating that his camera is dead and his phone can't do better...that is BS.

the part that was hidden, as i saw it before, was not a question.

it was a statement "this is a fake"

but i too wonder if it was the admins that hid it, or the seller himself.

I wrote another comment simply stating it says COPY under the chin. Lets see if he hides that too

if the seller has the ability to hide comments, i'm pretty sure he will..

Got you.

my point is that "fake" is a copy that is made to for the purpose of selling it as if it were the real deal, for the price of the real deal.

or are you saying there is no difference whatsoever between the Chinese counterfeits that are made to fool people out of money, and the American-made copies that bear the word "COPY" on them?

I am not saying that but if you want then I can still say that the seller is selling as a fake, counterfeit, or imitation to someone who does not know or has the trained eyes to see something is added or not there to make it worth the value of a real item of value.

The seller was trying to hide what made it not like the real item. They were trying to sell it as the real deal.

People do this with cards, comics, magazines, guns, knifes, swords, toys, stamps, and so on.

My "Two Face" 1922 Liberty coin looks real but can only be seen as a "Copy", "Replica' or whatever someone wants to call it by it's minor details it has or is missing. Then it is has two heads and is not made of silver.

My whole thing is it was a good catch and using the word "fake" in a sale would turn people off from an item especially if it is a collectable you are selling. :foryou:

Got you.

I am not saying that but if you want then I can still say that the seller is selling as a fake, counterfeit, or imitation to someone who does not know or has the trained eyes to see something is added or not there to make it worth the value of a real item of value.

The seller was trying to hide what made it not like the real item. They were trying to sell it as the real deal.

People do this with cards, comics, magazines, guns, knifes, swords, toys, stamps, and so on.

My "Two Face" 1922 Liberty coin looks real but can only be seen as a "Copy", "Replica' or whatever someone wants to call it by it's minor details it has or is missing. Then it is has two heads and is not made of silver.

My whole thing is it was a good catch and using the word "fake" in a sale would turn people off from an item especially if it is a collectable you are selling. :foryou:

EXACTLY.

the main problem here is THE SELLER, HIS PRACTICES and THE AUCTION SITE,

not the coin :hi:

now how do we take this auction DOWN?

Just contact Listia. The item is not listed right.

rules

Replicas, Fakes, Counterfeit Items & Unauthorized Copies or Illegal Use of Trademarks

•Any items that cannot be determined to be authentic are prohibited. If you are not sure if it's real, you cannot list it.

•Includes copied CDs, DvDs and other media as well

•Fake, forged, and unauthentic sports memorabilia, collectibles or autographed items

•Exceptions: legitimate copies of non-trademarked goods or designs. Authorized pre-printed autographs or autographed items are allowed if you have the rights to accurately reproduce the original signed item and clearly state in the listing that the autograph is pre-printed and not an original

The seller is now harassing me on Listia, saying its my fault.

Here is one of the messages

"well now the listing has been removed. I contacted a collector and had them look at the coin and it is an authorized coin. you didn't have to be a jerk about it on the listing with all of your constant messages. I was hoping someone would enjoy the coin and I could get enough credits to get my son a ps3 from the rewards store.

Oh and by the way it did not say copy on the coin, it was a scratch on the lid cover that reflected on the coin when I took the pic."

The seller is now harassing me on Listia, saying its my fault.

Here is one of the messages

"well now the listing has been removed. I contacted a collector and had them look at the coin and it is an authorized coin. you didn't have to be a jerk about it on the listing with all of your constant messages. I was hoping someone would enjoy the coin and I could get enough credits to get my son a ps3 from the rewards store.

Oh and by the way it did not say copy on the coin, it was a scratch on the lid cover that reflected on the coin when I took the pic."

Its not your fault. It is just another swindle seller.

Here is an enhanced pic

how could you make such an enhancemenr off such crappy pic?

It was interesting how selller listed what 1 oz gold was worth...