• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photography - 28-135mm f3.5-5.6

95 posts in this topic

I think neither. I believe I had the white balance still set on the previous white balance setting on the top one.

It actually looks more coppery and reflective than the picture represents. I will take another later with the white balance not compensated. I think that top one looks a little green but the coin is nothing like that color.

I know the copper pennies that I have taken some pictures of since I adjusted that white balance compensation back to stock, came out looking just right.

1969S-Lincoln_Reverse_Large.jpg

Bobby if you're going to get the jansjo lights get at least two.
I have my 2 halogens that work pretty good. I was just thinking of one of these little lights to use in between my 2 lights to throw a little light in the middle.
Bobby, if you use different types of lights you will get mixed results. Essentially your camera will get confused and won't give you the best results.

Bobby if you're going to get the jansjo lights get at least two.
I have my 2 halogens that work pretty good. I was just thinking of one of these little lights to use in between my 2 lights to throw a little light in the middle.
Bobby, if you use different types of lights you will get mixed results. Essentially your camera will get confused and won't give you the best results.

You may be right. I may get a couple and compare my images.

My setup so far has evolved a bit. I am using a bastardized version of an Omega C-700 enlarger (that was in perfect working order) that I picked up on eBay for about $70.00. I initially mounted a light weight (cheap) set of bellows to the enlarger stand riser but it proved to not be very stable.

PhotoSetupTwo.jpg

Then I figured, since the enlarger has excellent bellows that is incredibly stable, I purchased a 42 mm to EOS adapter ring and super glued it to the top of a plate that I fabricated, Yes, Super Glue! lol

20140317_014733a.jpg

Everything was coming together until I tried to mount the camera. There was not enough distance between the adapter and the cameras flash hood. However I was able to just lay the camera on the adapter and the weight distribution was perfect as the camera stayed very still.

20140317_014629a.jpg

That is the setup I used to take this shot.

Example_1986_Libertad_With_Specifications.jpg

Although the image is not earth shattering by any means, I know now that this setup, once perfected by adding a short extension tube that I have on the way, will be able to produce crisp pictures that can actually capture the colors that I thought others captured by post processed juicing at one time. I now know that they just simply had better equipment and much greater skill and experience.

Anyone wishing to be adventurous, and wait for the nearly 10 Mb to load, you can view the image in its original form and really see the detail and colors. The link is located Right Here