• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Error Dime

13 posts in this topic

I was browsing the bay, and saw this little gem. I knew that I couldn't pass this one up! It is graded 65PL by ANACS in an old small white holder. I got it in hand yesterday - and it is unquestionably prooflike. There are bright, clear mirrors on both sides. Of interest - the unstruck areas are perfectly normal for an off-center strike. There has been some debate whether PL coins were due caused in part by specially prepared planchets - and this coin seems to indicate that it is a function of the die only.

Have you seen other prooflike error coins? I can't say that I've seen very many. They appear to be quite rare,and so I'm extremely happy to have picked this little coin up!

IMG_1318_zpsef941c0e.jpg

IMG_1323_zps91664d05.jpg

Wow! Very cool. As I am relatively new to the hobby, I was unaware of the "debate" regarding specially prepared planchets for PL coins. I am interested to see what some of the more experienced/knowledgable members say about this (for the lack of a better word) theory. Any insight?

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'll probably submit this to NGC eventually for uniformity in my set, but I'm not actually sure that NGC designates PL on error coins (that is to say, I've never seen one). I don't need it for my Registry set, which would be the biggest reason to cross it. I mostly bought it as a curiosity, as an interesting addition to broaden the appeal and increase the depth of my set.