• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Great Additions to My Penny Exonumia Collection

12 posts in this topic

I recently picked up these pieces and they are some of the more rare pieces I have acquired thus far. I will be adding some of them to my Penny Potpourri exhibit which will be on display at my next few shows, starting with the Atlanta ANA.

This rare 1900 Indian cent political campaign charm is encased in brass and celluloid and contains a gem red Indian cent on one side and an albumen photo of William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt on the other. These were actually sold during the 1900 presidential campaign, and this piece is one of only about a dozen known to exist in choice condition with the celluloid intact. Another one in a lesser condition recently sold at auction for over $500, so this one would be valued at over $600.

7.jpg

This Rose Auto Stores sticker cent was given to me by a fellow sticker cent collector after he saw my exhibit. Rose Auto Stores distributed these sticker cents in the late 1960’s. Even though stickers on coins are a very simplistic advertising medium, they are scarce and not many have survived possibly due to the Secret Service banning them as violating federal law that prohibits people from attaching or impressing advertisements or announcements on currency and required violators to remove any such stickers or face stiff fines.

9.jpg

This 1905 wooden encasement was issued during the Lewis & Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland, Oregon, to celebrate the centennial of their famous expedition. The encasement is made of fir wood, possibly since lumber was Oregon’s chief export at the time. These wooden Lewis & Cark encasements are the only encased cents to have been made out of wood, with only 6 to 7 remaining in existence. This particular encasement containing a gem red Indian cent is in excellent condition – the wood is not cracked or dirty and the printing on the encasement is still bold and colorful, making this piece the finest known. Unique to these wooden encasements, the penny was manually squeezed down into the encasement, unlike other non-wood encasements where the coin would be inserted before the encasement dies struck with heat and pressure. This piece is valued between $700 and $800.

10.jpg

Whitehead & Hoag (1892-1921) was one of the largest advertisement firms in the world at the turn of the century. They made many different types of advertising, political, and fraternal items. The company developed and patented celluloid, a high quality compound used for printing that made the prints more durable and vibrant in color. Whitehead & Hoag items are very collectible. This beautiful blue A.F. Fox Company celluloid Indian cent encasement is valued at $450.

1.jpg

Pocket mirror encasements were another popular form of marketing and advertising using coins placed on one side of a small mirror, especially pennies. Quality intact Indian cent and early Lincoln cent pocket mirrors can be difficult to locate compared to the more common aluminum encased cents since they are often found with the mirror damaged or missing, or the celluloid covering the coin cracked or missing. The C.G. Conn Instruments (founded in the 1870’s and eventually bought out by Steinway Musical Instruments) pocket mirror has an original red 1909 Indian cent.

5.jpg

Rick Snow gave me this reeded edge 1892 Indian cent. It was possibly used as a gear.

2.jpg

This is a very usual piece - it's two 1893 Columbian Expo elongated pieces made from Canadian large cents and welded together, possibly as the beginning of a bracelet. 1892 Columbian Expo pieces on Canadian large cents are scarce.

4.jpg

Just another Indian cent love token with a pretty design

6.jpg

I recently picked up these pieces and they are some of the more rare pieces I have acquired thus far. I will be adding some of them to my Penny Potpourri exhibit which will be on display at my next few shows, starting with the Atlanta ANA.

This rare 1900 Indian cent political campaign charm is encased in brass and celluloid and contains a gem red Indian cent on one side and an albumen photo of William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt on the other. These were actually sold during the 1900 presidential campaign, and this piece is one of only about a dozen known to exist in choice condition with the celluloid intact. Another one in a lesser condition recently sold at auction for over $500, so this one would be valued at over $600.

7.jpg

This Rose Auto Stores sticker cent was given to me by a fellow sticker cent collector after he saw my exhibit. Rose Auto Stores distributed these sticker cents in the late 1960’s. Even though stickers on coins are a very simplistic advertising medium, they are scarce and not many have survived possibly due to the Secret Service banning them as violating federal law that prohibits people from attaching or impressing advertisements or announcements on currency and required violators to remove any such stickers or face stiff fines.

9.jpg

This 1905 wooden encasement was issued during the Lewis & Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland, Oregon, to celebrate the centennial of their famous expedition. The encasement is made of fir wood, possibly since lumber was Oregon’s chief export at the time. These wooden Lewis & Cark encasements are the only encased cents to have been made out of wood, with only 6 to 7 remaining in existence. This particular encasement containing a gem red Indian cent is in excellent condition – the wood is not cracked or dirty and the printing on the encasement is still bold and colorful, making this piece the finest known. Unique to these wooden encasements, the penny was manually squeezed down into the encasement, unlike other non-wood encasements where the coin would be inserted before the encasement dies struck with heat and pressure. This piece is valued between $700 and $800.

10.jpg

Whitehead & Hoag (1892-1921) was one of the largest advertisement firms in the world at the turn of the century. They made many different types of advertising, political, and fraternal items. The company developed and patented celluloid, a high quality compound used for printing that made the prints more durable and vibrant in color. Whitehead & Hoag items are very collectible. This beautiful blue A.F. Fox Company celluloid Indian cent encasement is valued at $450.

1.jpg

Pocket mirror encasements were another popular form of marketing and advertising using coins placed on one side of a small mirror, especially pennies. Quality intact Indian cent and early Lincoln cent pocket mirrors can be difficult to locate compared to the more common aluminum encased cents since they are often found with the mirror damaged or missing, or the celluloid covering the coin cracked or missing. The C.G. Conn Instruments (founded in the 1870’s and eventually bought out by Steinway Musical Instruments) pocket mirror has an original red 1909 Indian cent.

5.jpg

Rick Snow gave me this reeded edge 1892 Indian cent. It was possibly used as a gear.

2.jpg

This is a very usual piece - it's two 1893 Columbian Expo elongated pieces made from Canadian large cents and welded together, possibly as the beginning of a bracelet. 1892 Columbian Expo pieces on Canadian large cents are scarce.

4.jpg

Just another Indian cent love token with a pretty design

6.jpg

Outstanding. :banana:

An interesting side note: the Fox family is still around, and grew into a great Holding and Management Co., that branched off into construction, development, infrastructure mgt. (especially in communications), and, of all things, Horse Racing and Breeding. :ohnoez:

The Mckinley Roosevelt Piece is just great, as is the condition-intact celluloid on it is worth leaving my wife for :acclaim:

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately, not only will I not be exhibiting at the March Baltimore show, I won't even be attending - my son is getting married that weekend! I'm really sorry to miss this show, but kids will be kids, and they forget to check with their parents on such things, like wedding dates and all!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The low relief and a bit pimply surface of the Rose Auto Stores piece suggests that it's a zinc cent, which would make it more recent than indicated. Still, they're all pretty fun items.

The Rose Auto stickers came out in the 1960's but of course it's possible that someone had one of the stickers and placed it on a coin from the 1980's.

And Coindude, sorry, but I won't be in Texas until December for the Houston Money Show, and since I exhibited there last year, I don't have any plans to set it up there again.

Right now, I plan to display my exhibit at:

Atlanta ANA (Feb 28-March 1)

Central States, Schaumburg (April 23-27)

PNNA Tukwila/Seattle (May 2-4)

Chicago ANA (Aug 4-9)

I will also be giving a "bull session" slide show presentation at the second session of the ANA Summer Seminar and will have some of the pieces on display.

Looks like you won't be back to Texas till March! That stinks.
I was checking out ya ANA site for upcoming shows and saw there was a money show scheduled for March of 2016. That's what I was thinking. Anyhow I hope to make the Houston show and I hope the weather has better behavior this year!