• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Goal Reached!!!

13 posts in this topic

Proof sets: 1950-1964

I finally made my first goal!! When I started collecting as a child of 9 years old I never thought that 55 years later I would be sitting here typing this. I had a break (a career in the Army and then another Career in Government service) that spanned 6 decades before I would seriously take up collecting again. Things have changed. The reason I started in the first place was the change in the Lincoln cent from the Wheat back to the Memorial reverse. Now that same 1959 Memorial that I found while playing next to our fire escape at school is collectable in it's own right. It became very evident that in order to collect at a higher level I would have to have an area of concentration...thus the goal of collecting Proof sets of the "Silver Years"....1936-1964. Simple enough huh? Oh my NO!!! I split the goal into years of 1936-1942 then 1950 (my birth year) to 1964 being my first goal that I just recently, after 3 years of constant searching, is complete....to a point. Of course the set is never really complete. You are always looking for that next grade or that Cameo coin that will take it to the next level. So, off I go..searching again for that "Perfect" (or as perfect as you can get) coin to enhance my collection. Many thanks to a few coin dealers out there that helped me along the way.....and also thanks to my membership in NGC, PCGS and the ANA...and one more specific thanks to Rick Tomaska for his books. It has been an exciting journey and it continues with even greater fever!!!

15172.JPG

See more journals by sowersb

Wow! A TYPE II PF 68 Franklin Half? That is a very rare grade. Congrats, Franklins are what drew myself in to the hobby. I don't chase the series anymore but have a few really nice ones in my collection. Not a PF 68! Keep going, don't ever stop unless it isn't fun anymore. The hobby of Kings!!

Hoooah!! Army all the way and then some!! If it hadn't been for Uncle Sam I would probably be passed out in a ditch somewhere with no money for more wine!! It's been the great adventure....to say the least!! I'm so proud of our Kids (they are not kids but rather true blue patriots and great Americans)! The are finally coming home from a real bad place. I did get to visit every once in a while and they are true Professionals!

Bud

Absolutely great story. Pleasure to read. Only ones who win are those who think they can. Without goals, finish lines cannot be found.

Hats off, white gloves clapping.

Capt. Brian