• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed-Ex or USPS?

34 posts in this topic

I have read numerous examples of Fed-Ex (people working for Fed-Ex) tampering with packages and it seems to me I recall there being far many more complaints on these boards and ATS about Fed-Ex than USPS.

Am I mistaken?

Background; I won a gold dollar on eBay and the seller seems to think that sending it Fed-Ex is the route he is going. I sent back a message and advised to send via USPS instead of Fed-Ex if he wanted it to actually arrive here.

Is my request unreasonable or based on imagination? I have never had one single problem with the USPS and I have shipped many items.

Why they'd want to send FedEx is the question but really there's nothing to worry about. It won't be insured but the seller takes the hit if something happens. I'd relax.

I have read numerous examples of Fed-Ex (people working for Fed-Ex) tampering with packages and it seems to me I recall there being far many more complaints on these boards and ATS about Fed-Ex than USPS.

Am I mistaken?

Background; I won a gold dollar on eBay and the seller seems to think that sending it Fed-Ex is the route he is going. I sent back a message and advised to send via USPS instead of Fed-Ex if he wanted it to actually arrive here.

Is my request unreasonable or based on imagination? I have never had one single problem with the USPS and I have shipped many items.

Between FedEx and USPS registered mail, if safety is your main concern, I'd definitely go with the latter. Also, depending upon the value, the FedEx package might not be covered adequately, unless the shipper has private insurance.

The above isn't meant to say that FedEx has a high percentage of problems, only that registered mail is safer. I used FedEx in conjunction with private insurance, quite a bit for several years when I had my own business. And I never had a tampered package or loss/theft incident.

Heritage used to use FEDEX on their pricier items. I notice that they now use USPS Priority instead, which I, personally, think is safer. USPS Registered is safer yet. I had a very expensive package (with signature required) delivered to my neighbor by FEDEX. She signed HER name and the driver/delivery person still didn't even notice. Thankfully she called me right away. Although it was likely a FLUKE; I have never forgotten that incident!

Not in California from what I can tell Chris.

The value is not a huge amount by any stretch. Now that it has been mentioned, about the lack of insurance available with Fed-Ex, I think that might be what I remember reading.

However I read just the other day someone received a Fed-Ex package that originally contained three gold coins and the box had been slit open with a shipping knife and only one coin removed.

I think I will not press the issue any further and just wait it out from what responses I got here. I really wanted that coin though and apparently so did many others since we were all willing to pay over list.

Thanks.

I've never used fedx for delivery but I've never had problems with usps. The only bad thing I've witnessed with fedx is they have bad drivers. We had 2 wrecks with fedx trucks around shreveport in one months time. I've heard they will throw anybody behind the wheels of those big double trailer rigs. You could sure lose some packages that way.

I think tampering with a USPS package is a federal crime where Fed-Ex is a private carrier. Employees of the Post Office just know it's a bad idea. And the public never gets near a Tracked Package.

Heritage used to use FEDEX on their pricier items. I notice that they now use USPS Priority instead, which I, personally, think is safer. USPS Registered is safer yet. I had a very expensive package (with signature required) delivered to my neighbor by FEDEX. She signed HER name and the driver/delivery person still didn't even notice. Thankfully she called me right away. Although it was likely a FLUKE; I have never forgotten that incident!

The weird thing is that I have found that FedEx is not that rigorous on the signed for questions and requirements, last month I had a high value item they left on a porch. As a result paypal held on to the money a while longer. In terms of delivery times FedEx is much more like clockwork than usps in my experience, every week there are delivery failure/delay issues. Tomorrow being a federal holiday, you will not be able to ship out via usps. But FedEx and UPS will be working. There is a 24 hour FedEx office store 20 minutes away, they are almost always open during the business week. And their cut-off times are after 6 pm. instead of 5 pm..

He returned my message and insists that they always use Fed-Ex and that it is "Processed through our corporate account" and they have never had any troubles. Hopefully that will be the case in this instance as well.

I didn't press it any further and just said ship it any way which you would like but noted that I assumed that they had their own insurance since Fed-Ex specifically will not insure coins.

I will see what happens and hopefully I am worrying about nothing. Even though the coin is on the bottom end of the totem pole, grade wise, there were only 1,000 of them minted and they do not seem to be abundant in the auction records. NGC's auction listings are way out of whack and they have pennies, dimes, and all sorts of wrong entries in the coin explorer.

Tomorrow being a federal holiday, you will not be able to ship out via usps. But FedEx and UPS will be working..

Oh wow! I didn't even realize that. I had two coins scheduled to be in a priority mail box tomorrow and already have the label printed and package boxed up. hm

Thanks

lol... I have two adult sons that work for FedEx and one of them was reading over my shoulder while I was reading this thread. For what it's worth, here are his thoughts:

1) In both cases (FedEx and USPS) the insurance is determined by the valuation of what is being shipped. Most of the problems that happen with shipping has to do with the tendency for people to not declare the actual value of the item being shipped, leaving it under insured against loss or damage.

2) As someone already mentioned, tampering with a USPS package is a federal crime whereas FedEx is a private carrier. So in theory, it should be more safe to ship by USPS... however my question is "when was the last time anyone was actually prosecuted for tampering with the mail?"

True story: I have a PO box now because I got a call from the Oregon State Dept. of revenue asking if I had gotten our tax return. I said "now that you mention it, no I don't believe we have" The agent then said "Yeah I didn't think so... you don't fit the profile". The long story short is that someone was stealing my mail, took my refund check (my wife works in Oregon) and changed the amount from $300 to $3000 and then cashed it in Oregon. I had to then fill out police reports, and he recommended that I get a PO box. A few weeks later, I was coming home and found a strange truck parked in my driveway which also serves my neighbors house. The home had sold a few weeks earlier and I didn't know who all was living there yet, so I assumed this person parked in the driveway and going through my neighbors mail was a new neighbor. When the guy going through the mail noticed me patiently waiting to pull in behind him, he asked "oh... do you live here?" and I said, "Yes". He responded "oh.. sorry, I am just looking for some ads".... I said "really... why don't you just go ahead and do that while I dial 911 on my cell phone" He then jumped in his truck and took off. Of course I had his license plate number and a description of him. The cops responded, and tracked him down supposedly to find out indeed he was stealing mail, but little else was done.

So, I guess I wouldn't get too comfy with the idea that USPS is "safer" because it's a federal crime to mess with the mail... No one seems to give a rip anymore. Best advice according to my son is to declare an accurate value of the item being shipped so if things do go wrong (they and and do with both carriers), you at least will have a shot at getting reimbursed.

lol... I have two adult sons that work for FedEx and one of them was reading over my shoulder while I was reading this thread. For what it's worth, here are his thoughts:

1) In both cases (FedEx and USPS) the insurance is determined by the valuation of what is being shipped. Most of the problems that happen with shipping has to do with the tendency for people to not declare the actual value of the item being shipped, leaving it under insured against loss or damage.

I think your son must have missed a few answers on his application exam then. I quote from Fed-Ex web site itself:

"WE DO NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE COVERAGE OF ANY KIND."

"Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:"

"Collector's items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs and memorabilia."

So if I send a coin to someone that cost $4,500.00 then your son says that I am covered 'above' $1,000.00 just as long as I declare $4,500.00?

Well no that can't be accurate either since Fed-Ex also says this:

"ANY EFFORT TO DECLARE A VALUE IN EXCESS OF THE MAXIMUMS ALLOWED IN THE FEDEX SERVICE GUIDE IS NULL AND VOID. OUR ACCEPTANCE FOR CARRIAGE OF ANY SHIPMENT BEARING A DECLARED VALUE IN EXCESS OF THE ALLOWED MAXIMUMS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WAIVER OF ANY PROVISION OF THE FEDEX SERVICE GUIDE AS TO SUCH SHIPMENT."

I am not using the cap's either - Fed-Ex is on their website.

Well that is an improvement. It used to be that FedEx wouldn't cover collectible coins at all. Now they are willing to cover them to a maximum of $1,000

The Post Office has the option of "restricted delivery". It only allows the person who's name is on the package to sign for it. I would hope all the carriers would adhere to this policy......MAILMAN

Fedex offers that option, as well. But I have heard of cases in which the USPS and FedEx have each failed to adhere to the chosen delivery option.

Yes USPS for sure.

I was actually looking forward to letting that guy know that my worries over fed-Ex poor service was unfounded and that he was right.

The package arrived in record time to the local facility, was listed as loaded on the truck for delivery today, then later they changed it to:

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Feb-18-14, 06:18 PST

Package not due for delivery

Feb-18-14, 09:47 PST

So I called and was told - Get This; The package is not due until the 21st so they will just drive around with it on their truck, all around my location making their deliveries, until the date it is due for delivery!!!

What???

Hahahaha!

This is just way too funny to even be real. I must be dreaming this. doh!

Yes USPS for sure.

I was actually looking forward to letting that guy know that my worries over fed-Ex poor service was unfounded and that he was right.

The package arrived in record time to the local facility, was listed as loaded on the truck for delivery today, then later they changed it to:

So I called and was told - Get This; The package is not due until the 21st so they will just drive around with it on their truck, all around my location making their deliveries, until the date it is due for delivery!!!

What???

Hahahaha!

Never heard of such a thing. I had a FedEx delivery today with no problems if that's any consolation.

:D

Yes USPS for sure.

What???

Hahahaha!

I'm under the impression that the decision is made by the individual driver. I have had a number of 2 day FedEx packages delivered the next day. But I have had others held up a day, when they could have been delivered in one day, instead of two.

I guess their thinking is that if there are too many instances in which a 2 day package is delivered the next day, a lot of senders might start opting for lower priced 2 day service instead of overnight delivery.

Either way, I was thankful when 2 day packages were delivered in 1 day, rather than upset when they weren't.

I'm under the impression that the decision is made by the individual driver. I have had a number of 2 day FedEx packages delivered the next day. But I have had others held up a day, when they could have been delivered in one day, instead of two.

I guess their thinking is that if there are too many instances in which a 2 day package is delivered the next day, a lot of senders might start opting for lower priced 2 day service instead of overnight delivery.

Either way, I was thankful when 2 day packages were delivered in 1 day, rather than upset when they weren't.

Mark, I have been on the end of it where it was here, local, and they sat on the package for a couple more days because it wasn't "due" until then.

I think that is poor customer service on their part and one of the reasons I try not to use them. Under promise, over deliver. Don't go out of your way to meet the commitment when you could easily exceed it.

Never heard of such a thing. I had a FedEx delivery today with no problems if that's any consolation.

:D

Yes I feel much better. ;)

Actually I am just amazed and find this far too humorous to even be angry. This if for real. I copied and pasted this and then removed my city and put it in the order reverse of how they post it but this is the actual timeline. It seems that they returned and took it off the truck. :o

At local FedEx facility

Feb-18-14, 05:49 PST

At local FedEx facility

Feb-18-14, 14:43 PST

I'm under the impression that the decision is made by the individual driver.

That may be true, however Linda ( I think that was her name) said .. "Oh that was a mix up ... the plane must have got here early and it was placed on the truck by mistake." Paraphrasing of course.

I actually was a bit sarcastic during our conversation. I told her that maybe they should load it back on the plane, send it back to Kansas City, and then load it on another plane and send it back here and it should be on time that way... Maybe she is actually putting that plan into action. :roflmao:

I guess I have a definite answer to part of my original question.

Yes USPS for sure.

What???

Hahahaha!

It would be interesting to know what usps does with the packages on the various tier levels. I would think that priorities go airmail except for regional deliveries. When we send packages to Sarasota via priority vs. express what happens with them in the extra day?

I have had a lot of priorities that have missed their target delivery times in the last week plus, no guarantee there so where is the incentive for them to get them there in a timely fashion? Plus anyone sending numismatics to CAC should realize that they will usually be picked up the day after they get to the neighboring "Bedminster, PO", because they don't go to Far Hills, PO until the afternoon. So you would have to send them express if you want timely delivery, but you may also miss the delivery in time for the CAC mailroom to pick them up, depending on when they do their mail pick-up.

FedEx is much better on updates going out of their way to do evening updates on where packages are. The usps doesn't mind leaving customers in the dark by comparison.

I would think that priorities go airmail except for regional deliveries

Priority just gets tossed in with the regular first class mail. No special handling other than the occasional scanning. And it used to be, and may still be, that all first class mail traveling over 500 miles also goes airmail. In general Priority gets there no faster than first class.

FedEx is much better on updates going out of their way to do evening updates on where packages are. The usps doesn't mind leaving customers in the dark by comparison.

True, but they also don't handle anywhere near the volume that USPS does.