• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896 Morgan....

8 posts in this topic

i was wondering if first, what do you think the grade is?

i only paid $20 for it from a good friend who doesnt care about coins at all(that was what he asked for) i would have given him more but i cant tell whether its UNC or AU....i have seen alot of 96's with strikes like this in MS slabs.

the surfacs are very clean though as far as chatter....

I AM going to try to get a shot with better lighting to add

145014.jpg.27aaad6bc9d1aa25934a86db939b373a.jpg

145015.jpg.49f637a477e9f2b96c106a506a56ecd1.jpg

145016.jpg.b5ccff9b8877a7f7464b8b566033315b.jpg

145017.jpg.f4d294dd95278f8b98cf19ef95f428aa.jpg

The picture makes this coin look flat and dull. If that is the true color with subdued or no luster the coin is worth no more than AU money at best. If looks like this because the surfaces have been cleaned or stripped the coin can only be net graded. At an rate 1896-P is a common date and mint mark combination in this series so you are not looking at a high priced item.

I don't have a photo of an 1896 dollar handy, but this coin shows you what mint luster looks like. When you swirl the coin under a light you should see a "cartwheel" running around the surface of the coin. It is bright area in these pictures. If you don't see that, chances are high that the coin is not Mint State or even About Uncirculated (AU).

18787o8TFO-1.jpg18787o8TFR-1.jpg

Thanks. There's some luster under there. The pic was taken through a window on a dim day.

There is def 64 condition considering dings, but I agree with you both, I think its AU

Agree with Bill. Coin looks flat a devoid of luster. Low MS. The cap is a little out of focus, probably something on the holder, but can't tell if there is a rub. At most, I'd give it MS61-62.

Agree with Bill. Coin looks flat a devoid of luster. Low MS. The cap is a little out of focus, probably something on the holder, but can't tell if there is a rub. At most, I'd give it MS61-62.

This