• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any explanation for today's jump in silver?

24 posts in this topic

I'm sure many of you noticed silver was up today about 5%, a bit over a buck per ounce, to $21.56, any particular suggestions as to why?

Expectations that next week's FOMC minutes will confirm Fed Chairwoman Yellen's dovish comments today.

The slower the monetary taper, the better for precious metals.

Also, risk assets (stocks, high-yield bonds, emerging markets) have been in a week-long rally.

Last but not least, I was going to buy some silver tomorrow. So of course it rises beforehand. After I buy, it'll go back down. :grin:

Last but not least, I was going to buy some silver tomorrow. So of course it rises beforehand. After I buy, it'll go back down. :grin:

That seems a bit arrogant. The real reason is that I sold on Wed...:wink:

Spot markets on silver are largely speculative - they no longer connect to real commodities and meaningful business transactions. In a speculative market there does not need to be a rational reason for change.

That's what I've been wondering, if this jump was due to activity by even a single large entity, not connected with particular outside events, perhaps to be followed next week by a gradual slump in the market price, back to previous levels.

Spot markets on silver are largely speculative - they no longer connect to real commodities and meaningful business transactions. In a speculative market there does not need to be a rational reason for change.

It could easily have occurred when a trader decided to boost their bid....not due to market factors but possibly a desire to artificially increase the value of inventory.

Most public commodity markets no longer relate to real goods and materials

Since Jan 1, 2013, in a single day, silver has jumped more than 5% four times.

It's fallen 5% or more six times.

It's a volatile market, and like RWB says, moves are not always attributable to discoverable facts.

After watching Ms. Pikus-Pace during several interviews yesterday, if I were an officer at any of the major media companies, I'd hire her right away!

After watching Ms. Pikus-Pace during several interviews yesterday, if I were an officer at any of the major media companies, I'd hire her right away!

She's such a mope, I wish she would cheer up a bit.

In the short-term that is certainly true, and silver has become the plaything of small retail investors.

But over time, the commodity markets do reflect supply and demand.

In the short-term that is certainly true, and silver has become the plaything of small retail investors.

But over time, the commodity markets do reflect supply and demand.

I thought it was 4 or 5 very BIG banks

"But over time, the commodity markets do reflect supply and demand."

Revised for accuracy: "But in the past, the commodity markets reflected supply and demand. Now they do not."

"But over time, the commodity markets do reflect supply and demand."

Revised for accuracy: "But in the past, the commodity markets reflected supply and demand. Now they do not."

More accurate quote: "All markets go up...until they don't."

jom

"But over time, the commodity markets do reflect supply and demand." Revised for accuracy: "But in the past, the commodity markets reflected supply and demand. Now they do not."

You don't think they are reflecting prices right now in a steady-state equilibrium ?

Where do you think the 'fair' price of gold and silver should be then ?

Far more volatile than gold. Just stay tuned to kitco and Zero Hedge for explanations.

Zerohedge has some interesting posts from time-to-time but they also go off the deep end.

Remember, Tyler Durden is a composite name not a real person.