• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 Vam 28A Grade Worthy?

4 posts in this topic

Ok, I've attributed this to be a 1889P Vam 28A.. everything matches up 100% I just can't get the right photos from my camera...

Does this look quality enough to grade? I received as a birthday gift NGC membership and have 5 coins I can send in, I don't mind spending $15 to get it attributed...

144935.jpg.553bce860db8fe0478fdbf63499c0876.jpg

144936.jpg.2c51106de96be008dd2a663666d2c2d6.jpg

The pictures, especially the obverse, are very distorted so that limits the accuracy of what I have to say. From what I can see, the coin might grade MS-64. It has some marks on the cheek that would preclude a higher grade. As a date 1889-P is fairly common so in most cases, it would not make sense to get this coin certified. If the VAM variety is a big deal that would make a difference, but since I'm not a VAM collector I can't speak to that.

It's hard to tell from those pictures but if it is in MS then I would say based on Heritage auctions VAM 28A is worth the attribution.