• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strong Bids on Toned Peace $ in Legend Sale...

107 posts in this topic

That coin is not market acceptable

Rationale? Honestly, what's the difference between that coin and the subject coin Legend just sold for over $3000? The only difference I see is PCGS, CAC, Legend and Morphy, each getting their piece of the former. Is that what's meant by, "market acceptable?" If that's all it is, where do we fit in?

Rationale? Honestly, what's the difference between that coin and the subject coin Legend just sold for over $3000? The only difference I see is PCGS, CAC, Legend and Morphy, each getting their piece of the former. Is that what's meant by, "market acceptable?" If that's all it is, where do we fit in?

That's why most of the opinions here don't mean much - because you can't see the difference between the two. It doesn't mean you don't know coins, it just means you don't have a feel for them.

There is no way that coin will ever end up in a holder and it's really unfortunate to read threads like this with people spouting off about stuff they just don't have enough experience to be judge and jury on. Reminds me of the famous envelope toned gem peace dollar fiasco.

Do I absolutely KNOW that it's not MA? Of course not ... but that's my feel based upon 46 years experience collecting the best I can possibly collect.

That's why most of the opinions here don't mean much - because you can't see the difference between the two. It doesn't mean you don't know coins, it just means you don't have a feel for them.

There is no way that coin will ever end up in a holder and it's really unfortunate to read threads like this with people spouting off about stuff they just don't have enough experience to be judge and jury on. Reminds me of the famous envelope toned gem peace dollar fiasco.

Do I absolutely KNOW that it's not MA? Of course not ... but that's my feel based upon 46 years experience collecting the best I can possibly collect.

:eyeroll::facepalm:

Deja Vu.....

Didn't you appreciate the hyperbole of a 52-year-old man claiming his "46 years experience collecting the best I can possibly collect". lol

I have gone back and forth on whether the coin was AT and feel it is probably 50/50. But that is with the coin in hand. I would like to see some consistency in the theory that it is impossible to tell from pics. If I make statements like yours, I get yelled at for judging a coin from pics. Lets see if you get scolded. My guess is you do not.

fwiw, in the thread I started about the coin when it was first gifted to me, the consensus was NT. I don't have many raw coins or else it would have paid a visit to a TPG by now. We shall see some time this year.

Perhaps you could explain why you think that coin is not MA without using the "because I said so" defense. Is it the colors, the progressions, toning correspondence?

Furthermore, most of the people who are posting here have many years of experience collecting coins including rainbow toned coins. You don't simply get to declare that you are right because you think you are more knowledgeable about coins than the rest of us. If you want us to respect your opinion about the originality of the toning of that coin, then present your case. Otherwise, sadly, it will be your opinion that doesn't mean much.

Deja Vu.....

Didn't you appreciate the hyperbole of a 52-year-old man claiming his "46 years experience collecting the best I can possibly collect". lol

As opposed to a much younger one just being a dolt

I have gone back and forth on whether the coin was AT and feel it is probably 50/50. But that is with the coin in hand. I would like to see some consistency in the theory that it is impossible to tell from pics. If I make statements like yours, I get yelled at for judging a coin from pics. Lets see if you get scolded. My guess is you do not.

fwiw, in the thread I started about the coin when it was first gifted to me, the consensus was NT. I don't have many raw coins or else it would have paid a visit to a TPG by now. We shall see some time this year.

Good luck. When PCGS or NGC certifies it, I will be certain to apologize for my opinion. Until then, I stand by it.

PS - NT or AT doesn't matter...in the grading room there's no such thing...just MA or not MA.

Deja Vu.....

As opposed to a much younger one just being a dolt

:roflmao:

Go easy on him .... He's just a kid.

Perhaps you could explain why you think that coin is not MA without using the "because I said so" defense. Is it the colors, the progressions, toning correspondence?

Furthermore, most of the people who are posting here have many years of experience collecting coins including rainbow toned coins. You don't simply get to declare that you are right because you think you are more knowledgeable about coins than the rest of us. If you want us to respect your opinion about the originality of the toning of that coin, then present your case. Otherwise, sadly, it will be your opinion that doesn't mean much.

how_dare_you_question_the_oracle_zpsae16c69a.jpg

Ah, so that's the gimmick.

I have to give myself credit, TDN, I can't say I always wondered at it. The truth is, I always suspected it. I can't blame them, though. You and I both know their opinions don't mean much, they just don't know it. How could they? I mean, take this coin, just as an illustration. If this tarnish isn't entitled to a grade, honestly, I'll concede, I don't know what is. There's nothing wrong with this surface. It's not impaired in any way. The trouble is, whenever I'd try to suggest something like that, here, i.e., that every tarnished coin is suspect unless it's in a PCGS or NGC slab, now, it's like I'd get ridden out on a rail. Of course, PCGS and NGC aren't infallible. The subtle almost intangible distinction between AT and NT isn't a science. Even the experts aren't 100% sure what constitutes AT and NT. But get those tarnished coins you think you love into the slabs, folks, as that's the only way you'll really be sure whether you love them. There's no other way, really. You might think you love them, when you really don't love them. Case in point, do you remember, what was that guy's handle, ManOfCoins? I apologize, I'm just going from memory. I'm not going back years into the PCGS archives to verify. But, you and I were both there. We saw that stunt of his unravel, first-hand. Do you remember it? First, his buyers all loved those tarnished coins they bought from him, some of whom even having paid dearly for them. But, then, how do you put a price on emotion? Then, in a flash of contrition, he admits they're all AT. What a shocker! Everybody hated the same coins.

I know this much, PCGS and Legend both tried real hard for us. They're deserving of applause for that. CAC was there, too. CAC brought along the PNG. That's why the PNG now has a definition of "coin doctoring." Did you ever read it, by the way? If you did, I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it. I think of it as a consumer protection regulation, of sorts. You know, so we don't get burned by those dealers. I hate it when innocent collectors like us get burned like that by unscrupulous dealers. We think we're in love with the tarnish, and the next thing we know, wham, PCGS or NGC says it's AT, and we hate it! That, I have to say it, sucks.