• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins2Kids

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I too was about that age being a paperboy' for our hometown. I just wish I would've been like you, and started collecting coins. I did buy a Kennedy Half' back in 2009' in a MS67 for just under $45.00. I bought mainly because it was so awesome to view it. After referencing it I should of got the 2009-D,,,lol'. Good Luck with your Set ' I hope you find that elusive Kennedy out there!

It's amazing how things in our younger days are one of the things that got many of us started in this great hobby of ours. I started out at 8 years old with two different things that set me down two different paths. The first was finding my first Wheat Cent ( it was a 1947). The second were some Third Reich coins given to me by my grandfather that same year. They were a 1943-J 50 Reichspfennig, a 1939-G 2 Reichsmark, a 1937-E 2 Reichsmark and a 1938-B 2 Reichsmark. My grandfather brought these coins with him when he and my grandmother came to America from what was quickly becoming East Germany in 1948. My grandfather was drafted into the Wehrmacht in 1941 and sent to fight in Russia. The 3 silver 2 Reichsmark coins were what was left of his "emergency fund" that he carried with him throughout the war. In those days, when Germany had gone to zinc and aluminum coins and banknotes, silver 2 and 5 Reichsmark coins went a long way.

As for the US Pursuits......that fizzled out for me. I still have some one offs and things like that, but for the most part, that part of my collecting life is over and it has been sold off. However, the German coins are one of my main pursuits. I still have all 4 of the coins that my grandfather gave me 25 years ago and they're some of my most treasured coins. I don't have much from my grandfather, and he passed on 4 years ago. The 50 Reichspfennig has already been graded and is in my competitive set for those coins. The three 2 Reichsmarks are headed to NGC in my next submission. So that's my childhood story and I hope wherever my grandfather is now, he can see what that gift of 4 coins has grown into.