• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Washington, we have a problem

9 posts in this topic

There's an actual divot in the field.

As Tom said, it looks like it was struck through grease. Grease and other debris can become compacted in the recesses of a device, eventually fall away from the die and then be impressed into the planchet. More often than not, the grease and debris will fall away from the coin once it is struck.

This is a common occurrence in most denominations, and I even have a 2005-S Silver Proof KS SQ with such a strikethrough.

Chris

As mentioned - a piece of debris fell on the planchet and the fell off after striking.

The texture is from the debris. I saw this happen with the cat -- tiny wiskers and a tooth on the coin.... :)

I have seen stuff like that and looked like a rat was sharpening its teeth on the silver... decided it was a planchet split after strike for small segment. A strikethrough would be possible, but hard to explain silver flow to complete rim.