• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Order of the Teutonic Knights

13 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has become very interested in obtaining a nice Teutonic coin for his collection. In honor of his quest, I offer mine here for folks' viewing pleasure.

I got this 2 years ago raw from CNG at the NYINC show. It is now slabbed (but let's not turn this into a GTG thread). This is Dav-5848, with the Emperor Maximilian on the obverse and the Grand Master on horseback. It's not a rare type, but due to its popularity it's become scarce to find nice and pricey too.

1603%20Teutonic%20Dav-5848.jpg

all I can think about is Age of Empires.

I haven't played that game in years. :D Are they still releasing newer versions these days?

Oh and village, that coin is amazing. 1603... Wow. And to be in that great of condition.

I like world coins for the challenge, EVP. For example, a friend recently asked me to assess his small collection of Chinese coins (mostly imperial, some Republic). World collecting challenges us to educate ourselves, especially if we don't know the language or even the alphabet/syllabary in use. But after all those old cashes, I'm pretty sure that I'll never forget the character for the Hu-Pu Board of Trade, though it looks awful similar to the Kung-Pu Board of Public Works. I like to buy coins out of the junk bin, then take them home and figure out just what on earth I've got.

all I can think about is Age of Empires.

I haven't played that game in years. :D Are they still releasing newer versions these days?

Oh and village, that coin is amazing. 1603... Wow. And to be in that great of condition.

Nope. Once the Macbook Pro's went to Intel processors (and there was some other coding issue) AOE 2 didn't work any more. And I didn't really like AOE 3 as much.

Being perfectly honest, I just wish I could play Civ 2 on my computer without having to load Windows...

BTW - not to depart from the OP's coin...that is a work of art!

I love the ring of symbols on the horseback side, and the secondary circle on the figure side. Something about that just sets up the piece for me.

Absolute beauty, and way way better than AU53. For something like this coin, I agree with EVP that the grade is secondary -- the eye appeal is off the charts, as is the amazing design! (thumbs u

I think EVP is having people enjoy the coin rather than a grading game.

As an aside, mumu that has a long way to go to become an AU53, maybe if EVP keeps it raw in his pocket for a few weeks:)

I enjoyed the coin and then I graded it. If it is an UNC then I would revote it as a 62. The toning had me thinking UNC but there did seem to be some rub in the high points. I suppose its muted luster rather based on your comment.