• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help with VAM on 1888 Morgan Dollar

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me to identify the VAM on my 1888 NGC MS63 Morgan Dollar? I just want to practice to identify the VAM, I am not sure what it called when I find some varieties on reverse. I couldn't find anything on obverse unless if some of you find it on my picture. I am trying to shoot a better picture, but boy it's difficult.

IMG_0149_zps27b3a4ff.jpg

IMG_0150_zps8a618121.jpg

IMG_0147_zps15d82305.jpg

IMG_0146_zps81d90d5a.jpg

IMG_0145_zps91f9a3dd.jpg

I can try again to get a better picture if necessary, just let me know. Thank for your help.

I'll tell you if you want me to, but if you want to try using VAMWorld, I'll wait. Note that at the top of the 1888-P page, you can sort by date position. As Chris mentioned, this will help. It is a near date. Further explanation of date positions is on VAMWorld's Attribution 101 page.

I have read the whole attribution. To be honest, attribution 101 is very interesting because they can identify the difference between the actual variety and actual scratch. I need to work on that. I checked on the date position on my 1888 Morgan, it seems like it is at normal position? I think that the reverse is VAM 7B because there is die gouges through tail fathers.

7B is correct. The date is in the near position, because the left edge of the base of the 1 is pretty much even with the space between the 2nd and 3rd denticle right of the tip of the bust. Normal position is when the left edge of the 1 is centered over the 3rd denticle.