• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA collectors

52 posts in this topic

I have the easy ones 82-83-84 but not graded and not part of my main collection. Just picked them up when the prices seemed hard to turn down.

I own ~ a dozen. Don't have the real tough ones. I have duplicates of some of the easier years in high grade. Can't resist DPL's. What can I say.

Hold those DMPL's in GSA holders, they are under priced IMO

You guys are talking about the release of Morgans in the proof holders that took place in the early-1970's ? Maybe the 1960's ??

I've seen some on Ebay with a message from Nixon, so figured those were early-1970's. Most look like MS 61-63.

Thanks for the advice. I own 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 & 85 GSA's. I have DPL's in 81, 82 (2), 83 and 84. The best of the bunch are the 81 and 84. I think they're both under graded, but I'm not going to worry about it right now.

Thanks for the advice. I own 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 & 85 GSA's. I have DPL's in 81, 82 (2), 83 and 84. The best of the bunch are the 81 and 84. I think they're both under graded, but I'm not going to worry about it right now.

Always wanted an 85. LOW mintage. 78 & 80 are nice, too. :)

I also have quite a few, but only the Carson City ones, and only the hard pack.

I used to have some non-CC's, both hard and soft packs, but I sold them.

I have 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 , with many duplicates from 1882-3-4

But I won't really consider it my main collection. I just like them. Really cool.

I sold my '82 and '83 several years ago, but I kept my '81-CC!

That's funny, as I sold my 84 but kept my 81, too! Much better date!! My 82 was from my dad, when I was 8 or thereabouts, so it will be a lifelong keepsake.

Always wanted an 85. LOW mintage.

Actually, the low mintage (228K) doesn't mean much. Most of them never left Mint bags until the GSA release, so finding real nice MS specimens is relatively easy.

My 85-CC doesn't have the GSA provenance, but I don't care. It's an MS65 VAM-4 which, in my opinion, has the strongest doubled dash of all the Morgans.

Chris

Actually, the low mintage (228K) doesn't mean much. Most of them never left Mint bags until the GSA release, so finding real nice MS specimens is relatively easy.

My 85-CC doesn't have the GSA provenance, but I don't care. It's an MS65 VAM-4 which, in my opinion, has the strongest doubled dash of all the Morgans.

Chris

That's true but it is still a better date. It's tougher than the 78, 80,81, 82, 83 & 84.

You're gem 85 sounds REALLY NICE, Chris. :) I wouldn't care that it wasn't a GSA, either.

I had only one GSA 1883 CC so had Shane sell it on consignment. The CC was nice but did not want to deal with the big plastic holder.

Skeeter

Funny you should say that cause I'm the complete opposite. I buy GSA's ONLY in their "big plastic". I never liked the ones that were cracked out and graded in the normal PCGS/NGC plastic with the "GSA" on the label. I find the original large plastic very cool and unique.

Chris

I like the GSA; however, I own one CC Morgans that was once in a GSA Holder. It's a 1891 CC MS64. It's in NGC plastic and it shows up as a choice in my GSA registry set. Since it's not in the original GSA holder, I have not added it to set.

I have the easy ones too. I plan on adding to the set as time and money allow. I agree, the original GSA holders are cool. None of mine are graded, but then again, probably only 10% of my collection is.

Thanks toneddollars. As you know, the grading for GSA Morgans is also quite liberal. It takes a lot of hunting to find a coin/grade that I can agree with. I think all the examples I posted are graded properly. I don't plan to sell these for a while. I do look to add additional DPL GSA's though.

I also think having them in a well preserved box with the proper COA is important. Unfortunately, my 1878 did not come with a COA. They sell on eBay, but the sellers want absurd amounts for them.

What did they charge back in the early-1970's when the government offered those Morgans in the plastic holder ?

What's an average price at shows to buy one today (for average quality, still in the OGP) ?

What's an average price at shows to buy one today (for average quality, still in the OGP) ?

On average, at coin shows, average quality, still in the OGP, $47.95. Throw in a date, mint mark, and grade, that average may vary.

What did they charge back in the early-1970's when the government offered those Morgans in the plastic holder ?

In 1974ish my dad only paid 15 bucks each for the two 82-CCs---one for him and one for me.

CC GSA price depends on the date.

82-83-84 costs about 250

85-is about 600 and 78, 80 & 81 are about 550

79s are A LOT more rare @ approx. 7500!

That is for average quality.