• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congrats to Hoot, new editor of "The Portico"

39 posts in this topic

I just read a note in the latest "Portico", the mouthpiece of the Full Step Nickel Club, that Mark Hooten has offered to take on editing that periodical. Congrats to a dedicated Jefferson nickel collector!

I just read a note in the latest "Portico", the mouthpiece of the Full Step Nickel Club, that Mark Hooten has offered to take on editing that periodical. Congrats to a dedicated Jefferson nickel collector!

You mean people actually collect this pocket change as long as it has full steps! confused.gif What is this world coming to?

And congrats Mark!

Thanks to all of you! laugh.gif Carl, I can hardly believe that you read that note! Very kind.

Roger - I just love the fact that you have either (1) subscribed to Coin Values so that you get the beginner's section at the end that is not included with the freebie that comes out with CW; or (2) bother to pick it up off the newsstand; or (3) know about a Coin World article that I was not informed of. 27_laughing.gif

Greg - nickel collectors are like darkside collectors, collecting all kinds of nonsense that has a value of no more than 5 cents (and dropping). crazy.gif

EVP - Who said no NBB? 893whatthe.gif

cladking - I look forward to your contributions to future editions of the Portico! grin.gif

Hoot

Way to go, Hoot! thumbsup2.gif Why am I not surprised you can do this well? After all, anyone who can ride a horse through the prairie while typing on a wireless laptop can truly multitask!

Way to go, Hoot! thumbsup2.gif Why am I not surprised you can do this well? After all, anyone who can ride a horse through the prairie while typing on a wireless laptop can truly multitask!

sign-funnypost.gif You only forgot the freezing cold and the snowstorm with wolves nipping at my heels! 893whatthe.giflaugh.gif

Thanks DaveTomBruce! yay.gif

BTW, RWW - I looked at CW online and found that they printed an article of mine in the Beginner's Workshop that appeared in Coin Values a couple of months back! Just nobody told me! blush.gif It's a little funny at times to read the edited versions (which they all are). This one is slightly different than the CV article! laugh.gif

Hoot

Mark -

I'm actually far to cheap to buy or subscribe to Coin Values. If it wasn't part of CW I'd never know that it exists! grin.gif

Also, if not for your name in the byline I'd have blown right by the article. See, brand recognition is a pretty powerful thing. hail.gif Hoot

Greg - nickel collectors are like darkside collectors, collecting all kinds of nonsense that has a value of no more than 5 cents (and dropping). crazy.gif

Hoot

I resemble that remark insane.gif

Congrats Hoot !! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now just don't tell me that you'll have even less time to post here with the rest of us rejects from the funny farm yeahok.gif

Mark -

I'm actually far to cheap to buy or subscribe to Coin Values. If it wasn't part of CW I'd never know that it exists! grin.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

I almost like CV better than CW! 893whatthe.gif

Also, if not for your name in the byline I'd have blown right by the article. See, brand recognition is a pretty powerful thing. hail.gif Hoot

Ha! laugh.gif I always knew that goofy name Hooten would be worth something!

Hooooot insane.gif

Congrats!!!!

Thanks Chris! When will you also be submitting articles, oh numismatic bibliophile?

Hoot

I resemble that remark insane.gif

Congrats Hoot !! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now just don't tell me that you'll have even less time to post here with the rest of us rejects from the funny farm yeahok.gif

Less time around here? Whaddaya crazy? crazy.gif I simply won't give you guys that kind of a break, even though you need it! insane.gif

Besides, I have to keep hanging around the World Coins forum to learn how to become a real collector. grin.gif

Hoot

Congrats Hoot! It couldn't happen to a nicer person.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks! hi.gif

Ok now tell the newb what CW and CV is please. confused.gif

Sorry 'bout that Melanie! CW = Coin World, and CV = Coin Values. You may like those or Numismatic News, or Coins, or CoinAge. All fun periodicals. CW and NN come weekly, the others monthly.

Hoot

Thank you Krypto! The Portico is the publication of the Jefferson Full Step Nickel Club. Membership is always accepted (even from a Morgan guy)! wink.gif

Thank you Dena! Kind of you to stop by! angel.gif

Hoot

I don't think I own any FS nickels........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One of the sincere hopes of Darrell Crane (the pres of the club), myself and others is to extend the club membership to Jeff nickel collectors in the broadest sense, not just FS collectors. Hopefully we can improve understanding and discovery of the series and not focus solely on the tiny devices of the front, lower porch of Monticello. tongue.gif

We'd take ya in a heartbeat! wink.gif

Hoot

Hey Hoot,

Sorry I’m late to the party, but I’ve been real busy at work lately. Of course, you have my congratulations on your latest endeavor, and I know you will do a great job, but I want to know when you’re going to stop fooling around and write your first book about nickels! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and I expect an autographed copy when you do! grin.gif

John

Thanks Thingie! insane.gif So, what's with the photo in your sig line? Who, when, where, why?

I want to know when you’re going to stop fooling around and write your first book about nickels!

Soon. And you'll be on my list for people who pay double due to your incessant purchase of all the great nickels on the market. 893whatthe.gif jom's right up there too. makepoint.gif

wink.gif Hoot

p.s. Glad to see you come around, John. Work seems to be taking nearly everyone away. For the same reason, I don't know when the last time was I made an original post. frown.gif

Work seems to be taking nearly everyone away. For the same reason, I don't know when the last time was I made an original post.

Being "late to the party", this is the same for me Hoot. Seems like I've just been too busy with the other small things in life, like making a living, staying healthy (or trying), getting started on any one of about ten different projects I've yet to take the first step on.

Anyway, I can't think of anyone else better suited for the job! Congratulations (hand shakes, pats on the back, champagne and cigars for everyone!) on you're new position!

Congrads Hoot! Sorry about the lateness also. Same problem: Work. mad.gif

And if you ever get around to I want an autographed copy too...unless the book is about Jeffersons. Bah! Buffalos only! tongue.gif

jom