• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest Franklin Addition

23 posts in this topic

It looks like I am acting as Mr. Kill Joy again, but I have to ask, are those areas of haze and/or white splotches on the coin or the holder?

And, the obverse looks borderline Deep Cameo, at best, to me, and the reverse, not even close.

Sorry, I wish I felt otherwise.

Tough coin to get in DCAM/UC, Congratulations. I agree with Mark about the cameo contrast on the reverse. It looks cameo, not ultra/deep cameo. Might just be the pictures.

Congratulations! :applause: 1951's are very tough to get DCAMs.

You'd be shooting yourself in the foot financially to cross it to NGC. Keep it in the PCGS plastic.

The pics I took are just ones I took with my phone. Hard to capture the true beauty of the coin. Holding the coin in hand the reverse is just as stunning as the obverse. I think the few spots on the bell may be on the coin. Probably a little clouding in the fields on the obverse.

Again, much more awesome in hand.

It looks like I am acting as Mr. Kill Joy again, but I have to ask, are those areas of haze and/or white splotches on the coin or the holder?

And, the obverse looks borderline Deep Cameo, at best, to me, and the reverse, not even close.

I'm gonna have to agree Kill Joy here. I hope it's just the photo but the reverse doesn't look Cameo at all.....

jom

I'm gonna have to agree Kill Joy here. I hope it's just the photo but the reverse doesn't look Cameo at all.....

jom

Based on the angle and lighting of the first pic, and my interpretation of it based on experience.... it actually shows impressively strong cameo. I expected it to look in hand something more like what the new photo just posted shows.

If the photos are accurate, I agree with you unfortunately. OP, here is an example that I have that looks closer to DCAM. In fairness, I have never bothered trying it at PCGS or NGC; I bought it in a SEGS holder. Images are courtesy of Shane (Kryptonitecomics),

ABFHcNhsRj6rNdEVzfFP_47_obv_SC_zps20f80986.jpg

R4mocJyRwOM2xoIshmp8_47_rev_SC_zps68ff38d2.jpg

(scratches are on the slab)

Here's a better pic of the reverse. I think this one shows more of the contrast. I'm not good at phtography, lol...

Your new images look much more promising. Photography can make a big difference. The new photo makes me think that I would enjoy the coin very much.

Thank you. Pictures don't really do it justice. I'm tempted to send it in and see if it will cross to NGC.

I advise leaving it alone. Cameo franklins command larger premiums in PCGS plastic than NGC plastic. The view is that NGC was looser on cameo and deep cameo designations than PCGS. At one point, I think there was some truth to it even though the services are equal currently (in my opinion). Both of them have also tightened up considerably in the last few years on their designations.

I will tell you that based solely on the original photos, I can tell that this is an incredible coin. Not sure I would have called it deep from the original photos, only because of the reverse. The second picture of the reverse totally clears that up for me. No offense to your coin Kenny, but just look at the quality of the mirrors. I'm not saying that yours might not dcam but there is a difference. The OP's coin has deep liquid like mirrors whereas yours indicates slightly soft mirrors. This is an incredible coin with some imperfections as noted by our Mr Feld. There are a few small milk spots and some field hairlines. That's why it's a 64.

I will tell you that based solely on the original photos, I can tell that this is an incredible coin. Not sure I would have called it deep from the original photos, only because of the reverse. The second picture of the reverse totally clears that up for me. No offense to your coin Kenny, but just look at the quality of the mirrors. I'm not saying that yours might not dcam but there is a difference. The OP's coin has deep liquid like mirrors whereas yours indicates slightly soft mirrors. This is an incredible coin with some imperfections as noted by our Mr Feld. There are a few small milk spots and some field hairlines. That's why it's a 64.

No offense taken, and my comments were made in reference to the original images. I meant that the frost on the devices of the coin I posted are closer to DCAM (but not necessarily DCAM) than the original images made the reverse of the OP's coin look. After seeing, the second images it looks much better. That is what I meant.