• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the toning on this proof seated $ too dark for your tastes?

24 posts in this topic

I like the originality of the piece....beats a shiny white cleaned one any day of the week. I bet it looks even better in hand since you can angle the coin in just the right light to capture all of the characteristics of the coin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Be careful Hoot, your buffalos might get jealous. You wouldn't want to start a stampede now, would you? grin.gif

Buffalo, schmuffalo! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

IMHO, your proof S.L. dollar looks exactly as it should, after 150 years of natural toning. My proof SL Liberty dollar looks very much like yours (different date though).

I thought that I would be looking at a dog when I accessed this thread but instead was pleasantly surprised at the eye-appeal. Very sweet coin!

Is it PR 64 or did it make 65?

From the pictures the toning is too dark for my tastes. I am also not a fan of the water pattern toning. However, this coin beats the hell out of any over dipped blast white coin! thumbsup2.gif

i like it lots and i bet it even looks much better in person

looks like a really sweet original coin too with as good thick skin and definately above average eye appeal for a proof seated dollar

i am going to guess proof 63 which is totally crazy to guess any seated proof coin from a photo but from my educated guessitmate proof 63

in person sight seen if there are more hairlines then proof 62 and much less hairlines proof 64

but i say overall proof 63 from a photo guesstimate

michael

Hey Greg, what is water patten toning? Educate me old wise one. hail.gif

The surfaces have the appearance of water having dried. There is an odd shaped toning pattern around darker toning. It's fairly common on proofs.

Me thinks the coin looks Great.

Toning like that always gives me the feel of

it being a real treasure locked away in

someone's cabnit only to come out a real gem.

Thanks for showing it.

Smitty

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments. I agree with Charlie that this is the way a 140 yr old coin should look.

Ok. EZ_E now what your been waiting for. First Congrats go to Michael and, of course, TDN as they correctly guessed the grade as 63.

Also, Greg made some good comments about the toning. If the obverse toning was like the reverse I think it would get a grade bump, especially when compared to the BUTT UGLY proof seated dollar I saw in an NGC 64 CAM holder yesterday. It was priced at $5900. lol.