• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gmarguli's E-Bay Listings Causing Quite a Stir on Overseas Forum

17 posts in this topic

Most posters are complaining that the coin is overgraded and marketgraded, with some saying the coin is veryfine, or at the most, xtrafine, by strict grading standards. Some are saying that there are too many marks and scratches to garner a grade of AU58, which the grade doesn't exist in European grading. I tend to agree. An xtrafine graded coin will have tons of luster and minimal marks, much like a choice AU coin, American standards. For a rare coin such as this in UNC, it has to be a strict grade to attain the high value.

TRUTH

Mainstream American grading standards and tolerances are vastly different than European standards.

NGC is an American company. You would think those geniuses would know that and take it in stride...

EVP

Do you all think there would be more and higher bids for that coin if it were in a XF holder? I was wondering if the differences between US and German standards are actually hurting the value of the coin or if Germans buy the coin, not the holder.

Do Germans snipe? Maybe there will be some good bids at the last minute...

Reply from the other forum:

Wow. I hope they bid instead of just talk. I have quite a few more of these (different dates) to sell on eBay in the coming months.

Using translation software, it appears that they are experts at grading with photos - which one person appears to say is a manipulated photo (not true).

And to think, out of all those people one has to speak English, yet not a single person has contacted me about that coin. I've had more questions on the coins from Peru & India than these German ones.

I tried posting a Bablefish response over there after registering, but couldn't get it to work. Here was going to be the English version:

Please excuse the grammar. I must use translation software as I speak no German. If any of you speak English, please feel free to contact me via eBay.

I am the owner / seller of this coin.

I find it interesting that no one here contacted me with any questions about it. Lots of guesses / opinions about it, but no one ever asked actual questions.

Some facts:

The slab / insert is new. This coin was graded within the last two months.

The so-called damage at 6:00 is a minor rim bump. Very minor. Considering the assigned grade of AU58 this is well within the standard.

The picture has NOT been worked over as Hupler appears to suggest. The picture was taken with a 5MP camera and cropped. Nothing else.

By American standards (which is all NGC uses as they are an American company) this coin is an AU58 without question - only the slightest amount of wear visible.

Call this a VF or EF or AU58 using different standards - it does not matter. It will sell for the same.

Greg,

Don't you wish you can post what you *really* want to say?

Something to the effect of:

"Listen, you [expletive deleted]! Don't you know that you can't grade off images? You have questions, contact the seller. Or, has Germany become a 3rd world nation socially as well as militarily? Go have some warm beer and phallic-shaped meats and bid after you grow up. America Uber Alles!!!"

laugh.gif

EVP

I'll bet he wanted to call them by the name "Adolf" as well.

-JamminJ

Greg,

Of course not. That might offend a potential bidder and since I have a lot more of these to sell, I need as many bidders as possible.

Now, once they are all sold... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif..........lol

Clausurch was nice enough to post my response over there.

Man, I now know what it feels like to be attacked by the PCGS mob. No facts, no contact, just lots of accusations and assumptions. The only difference is this mob attacks with Bratwursts & Weinerschnitzels instead of slabbed state quarters and registry set awards.

Man, I now know what it feels like to be attacked by the PCGS mob. No facts, no contact, just lots of accusations and assumptions. The only difference is this mob attacks with Bratwursts & Weinerschnitzels instead of slabbed state quarters and registry set awards.

You only say that because you cheat grandmothers out of their pension money.

Excuse me, but aren't you the car saleman? stooges.gif

-JamminJ

Excuse me, but aren't you the car saleman? stooges.gif

-JamminJ

Yea, t'is true. But I no longer be a coin salesman. angel.gif

That is a HORRIBLE LIE!!! I do not restrict my activities to grandmothers! sumo.gif

That is a HORRIBLE LIE!!! I do not restrict my activities to grandmothers! sumo.gif

It's true. I've run into him myself and found my wallet lighter. yay.gif

-JamminJ