• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you lose an honey hole...

6 posts in this topic

I lost one of my honey holes today...

As a toned coin guy I always go out and hit all the local coin stores I can when I travel. Mostly its a waste of time but once in a while I will find a store where the dealer sells toned coins for sheet...

Well I lost one of those stores today. The store use to stock some really nice raw toned coins. Mostly pulled from old albums from collections bought across the counter - Wayte Raymond, Capital Plastics, Dansco Album stuff. Today - almost no toned coins and what they did have had huge mark ups.

Apparently the owner's son is in charge of selling them in their new Ebay store... and he's pricing them as well...

Oh well... back to the hunt - but then again - that's what makes this hobby so much fun!

That stinks but there are others out there----keep looking. :) I've never had a real honey hole. :(

Its funny because Ive never had one in my hometown but I do in other towns. Usually its the older shops with the older shop owners.

From one shop over the years I bought numerous Unc raw toned Jefferson Nickels for sheet that all graded and would sell for anywhere from $50 to $150 per coin.

In another one I found toned Buffaloes that all graded from MS63-MS67 (except for one AU) and would sell from $100-$500.

In this town I think I might have found one replacement. I spent about an hour talking with the owner and he just wholesales his toners including Morgans out since he doesnt have a collector client base for it. Bingo !

In this town I think I might have found one replacement. I spent about an hour talking with the owner and he just wholesales his toners including Morgans out since he doesnt have a collector client base for it. Bingo !

That's great----some guys will do that. I met a dealer before that had some reverse toned Morgan beauties that were slabbed backwards to flaunt their color and he was just charging regular price for them. Not being a toned dollar collector---I didn't buy any. Maybe I should have. :)

That's great----some guys will do that. I met a dealer before that had some reverse toned Morgan beauties that were slabbed backwards to flaunt their color and he was just charging regular price for them. Not being a toned dollar collector---I didn't buy any. Maybe I should have. :)

If nothing else thats an easy flip for profit that will fuel other buys of what you do collect.

I feel your pain. I lost mine when I moved to Arizona. Im working with the big Army to get my butt back to Tennessee.. back to my favorite store!