• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

priceing

20 posts in this topic

hi kurtdog I just cant post a picture for some reason{ don't know what I am doing lol. the coin is a 1921 peace dollar unc. improperly cleaned.but we cant see anything wrong with it. no marks no scratches.it was graded by ngc.just don't know a fair price for it. I bought it raw.

If it's difficult for you to see why it was returned cleaned it's probably been dipped minimally and the luster looks washed out to the graders. If the coin might otherwise have been an MS 65 then I'd ask MS 62 money and see where that takes me. If it's scruffy in other ways then ask AU money for it and be done with it. That coin is tough enough to find in UNC that someone will buy it quickly.

hi kurtdog I just cant post a picture for some reason{ don't know what I am doing lol. the coin is a 1921 peace dollar unc. improperly cleaned.but we cant see anything wrong with it. no marks no scratches.it was graded by ngc.just don't know a fair price for it. I bought it raw.

Hi James. Do you have pictures in your computer? I can guide you through it if you have pictures in your computer.

hi kurtdog the cert.# is 3749387-005.thanks kd

Based on the images linked here the coin looks rather harshly cleaned.

I am aware of a couple of auction sales of similarly graded/designared examples, which brought just shy of $160 each at the end of last year. And that equated with fairly strong AU money.

In other instances, cleaned unc. coins can sell for a low unc. price, AU money, or EF or lower money. It depends upon the nature of the cleaning, as well as the price levels in AU and lower grades.

I wonder if someone can look it up and post it here. I don't know how to do that.

I don't think you can post (copied) photos from the cert look-up since the photos are NGC property.

Chris

A lot depends upon what the coin is. If it is a very common item, it might be close to unsalable for much over face value. If it is moderately scarce you might be looking at EF-AU money. If it is a rare coin that almost impossible to find with Mint State sharpness, you might be looking at lower end Unc. money. Prices can be hard to predict for big rarities in major auctions. It is truly amazing to me that "details" or "genuine" coins now appear in "Platinum Night" sales.

To be technical, "Unc. details" does not mean Mint State in any way. To be a Mint State a coin must have its mint surfaces with marks, minor spots and minor scrapes pulling the grade down from the MS-70 level. A coin that has been cleaned to the point when it gets a "genuine" grade it is no long Mint State.

the coin has not got any scratches just a few bag marks and full luster which the picture does not show very well

James, if you did not already see it, please look at my previous post (just a few above yours) regarding your coin.

The coin is question is a 1921 Peace dollar that has been polished. If the Gray Sheet prices are valid, this coin would be a very hard sell at anything approaching $100 IMO. In any grade below MS-60 there is no price spread. The bids range from $100 in VG to $130 in AU. With numbers like that, why would a rational collector go for anything below AU? You would not save enough money to make the lower grade worthwhile. Why pay close to $100 for this polished thing when you can get a no problem EF for $20 to $30 more?

This coin looks like a "roach motel" purchase to me. It would be easy to get stuck with it at $100, but getting you c-note back out of it would be an up-hill battle. :tonofbricks:

The coin is question is a 1921 Peace dollar that has been polished. If the Gray Sheet prices are valid, this coin would be a very hard sell at anything approaching $100 IMO. In any grade below MS-60 there is no price spread. The bids range from $100 in VG to $130 in AU. With numbers like that, why would a rational collector go for anything below AU? You would not save enough money to make the lower grade worthwhile. Why pay close to $100 for this polished thing when you can get a no problem EF for $20 to $30 more?

This coin looks like a "roach motel" purchase to me. It would be easy to get stuck with it at $100, but getting you c-note back out of it would be an up-hill battle. :tonofbricks:

Hard to tell from the picture, but if NGC felt it was polished, they would have noted it like the following that sold on Heritage

polished 1921 Peace

Hard to tell from the picture, but if NGC felt it was polished, they would have noted it like the following that sold on Heritage

polished 1921 Peace

Interesting point. I still think the OP coin was polished, though. That surface looks like polished silverware that's in need of another polishing.