• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New PCGS Hologram...

15 posts in this topic

Anyone see this from ATS...

New "Dupont" hologram for PCGS slabs...

http://www.pcgs.com/News/pcgs-and-dupont-authentication-combat-counterfeiting

Does this really work ? Do people really know how to check this for authenticity while at a show ? Maybe dealers do. I cant say I could.

And from a eye-appeal perspective - thats one ugly hologram. Looks like it would be better on a comic book than a coin. I hope when NGC makes this change they choose something more refined and less "Green Lantern" looking.

I commend their efforts to thwart counterfeiting efforts, especially fake slabs that can be used to hide sandwich jobs.

An area that will always be an issue is the 20 million+ coins already in both major services in 15+ different slab versions / variations.

I didn't like the looks of the PCGS holder before now and this change makes it worse.

I do own a lot of coins in PCGS holders because I judge the coin when buying, but I still don't like the holders.

I was told they gave away sample slabs with these new holograms at the PCGS luncheon yesterday at FUN. ldhair had one that he showed me today. In hand, it is pretty cool looking, and it is supposed to be very tamper-evident. I'm all for increased anti-counterfeiting measures, and a hologram is a good way to do it.

A thought to consider for NGC - the sticker on the outside can be tampered with. How about a hologram on the inside, such as on the insert?

I commend their efforts to thwart counterfeiting efforts, especially fake slabs that can be used to hide sandwich jobs.

An area that will always be an issue is the 20 million+ coins already in both major services in 15+ different slab versions / variations.

Do you know if they are they charging for this new hologram ?

Don Willis said they would start with new holders at Long Beach. He also said they will re-holder any and all for $5 each. If people really want the new holders and take up the 5 buck offer in mass I expect long stays for coins in Newport Bch.

Don Willis said they would start with new holders at Long Beach. He also said they will re-holder any and all for $5 each. If people really want the new holders and take up the 5 buck offer in mass I expect long stays for coins in Newport Bch.
I can't see that many people getting their coins reslabbed in the new holder especially those with a few hundred slabs. What happens next year when they come out with another new and improved slab?

A thought to consider for NGC - the sticker on the outside can be tampered with. How about a hologram on the inside, such as on the insert?

The anti-tamper proof hologram is on the outside of the slab? :o