• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Proof Grading

5 posts in this topic

I have a couple of questions/comments about Franklin Proofs.

Are there published guidelines, or guidelines in general when it comes to what makes a coin a cameo or ultra cameo. From what I have seen just in general and looking at online auctions, It would appear that NGC and PCGS grade cam and dcam differently.

It seems that coins in NGC holders seem to have a more pronounced cameo effect than those in PCGS holders. Maybe its just me, not really sure.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As a general rule I think they are close. NGC will award a star to coins with nice Cameo on just one side when the overall coin is nice.

Deep Cam has to be pretty deep and cover 100% of the device to qualify.

Rick Tomaska put out a couple books on the 50's and 60's proof coins and CAM/DCAM/UCAM designations. PCGS also has a couple grading books.

My thoughts are proof coins and designations are very difficult to judge from pictures on the internet as lighting and angles can be very deceptive.

A couple videos on youtube that may help

PCGS tends to need a deeper cameo contrast than NGC to award the cameo designation, and also a heavier frost/mirror combo than NGC does to award a DCAM designation rather than NGC's UCAM designation.

Also, be aware that some of the dates, notably 1960 and 1961, are notorious for having a heavier cameo contrast on one side versus the cameo contrast on the other side.