• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FROM THE CAC GRADING ROOM...... PART 2

27 posts in this topic

I like super long threads but I understand it makes good sense to have separate threads for each coin and thanks for the suggestion Fishy and brg. Heck of alot of excellent discussion in the first thread. It is amazing what we can all learn about grading from these types of discussions. I encourage anyone else to show their images and discuss CAC decisions on their coins.

Here is the second seated dime I submitted. You can see it is richly toned, and PCGS deemed it a 64. The color is very accurate. The strike is very good, the surfaces, at least from what I can tell by trying to see through the tone, are very clean for the grade. There are not any obvious detracting marks in the fields, devices, or rim. The marks that are there you have to look for under a loupe or in a high mag image and then you can find them. With respect to luster - hit the link below and you will see the auction house images. Anyone sees those images would interpret this to be a dull fugly coin. Before I bid, I had the good fortune of seeing this in hand first and realized the images did not do the coin justice. It has a full mint bloom on each side and strong cartwheel under the light. Better than the 77-cc, but not exploding just very strong, and part of this might be the tone, but there are certainly no breaks in the cartwheel when rotating through - so it is mint state. There is one detracting, small darker blotch/spot in the toning under star 6 on the obverse that is more apparent in the auction house images, otherwise, no detractions in the tone.

IS IT CAC WORTHY? WHY? WHY NOT?

Best, HT

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1118&lotNo=7513

1857-ODimePCGSMS64_zps74fca4b2.jpg

I like it a lot. Even with the dark, rust colored toning the coin looks to have nice "pop". Aside from the spot you discussed near star # 6 there's one to the right of the "7" in the date and on the reverse below the wreath and between one / dime that I think are just variations in the toning.

It's strike is solid!!!!

I give it a green bean, maybe even gold.

Great looking dime! I'll say yes to the green bean for this one too. I can't find anything I dislike about it. Next time, don't post the cert number/auction in the first post - it's tempting to check the status on CAC's site. Save that til when you tell us if it CAC'd or not. Plus, Heritage's images are somewhat unflattering (even though they provide a close-up look).

Great looking dime! I'll say yes to the green bean for this one too. I can't find anything I dislike about it. Next time, don't post the cert number/auction in the first post - it's tempting to check the status on CAC's site. Save that til when you tell us if it CAC'd or not. Plus, Heritage's images are somewhat unflattering (even though they provide a close-up look).

Oops... don't cheat now :)

Absolutely yes

You can see the quality of the coin in the pic. Liberty is pristine

I agree. This piece looks like it has original surfaces and is VERY well struck with excellent eye appeal. A lock for a green bean unless there is something we can't see.

I can tell that it is a solid 64 from the pics. As to whether or not CAC would bean it? No idea.

If you can tell that the coin is a solid 64, then, whether you care to admit it or not, you also have a pretty darned good idea that CAC would sticker it.

In regards to marks, strike, lack of wear...yes. BUT, I like my MS64 or better silver coins to have nice luster and it looks like this one has none, but then I just went to the auction images and it looks like the coin does have luster....so based on that....

BEAN IT.

Just for clairity for those who did not read my long-winded description in the original post, yes this 57-O displays strong carthweel luster under the light and lots of orginal mint bloom.

Best, HT

I am going to say yes for this one. The reason I believe this one received a sticker is because of the cleanliness of the surfaces. I looked at the HA photos of the 77cc and wasn't really impressed with its luster, and if you say the luster on this one is only slightly better, then I don't think luster played a role in the coin receiving the sticker. I am not impressed by the color either, I don't think it adds anything to the coin, it actually may take away from the overall eye appeal.

So, despite the so so eye appeal I still say this one stickered because of superior surface preservation for the assigned grade.

In regards to marks, strike, lack of wear...yes. BUT, I like my MS64 or better silver coins to have nice luster and it looks like this one has none, but then I just went to the auction images and it looks like the coin does have luster....so based on that....

BEAN IT.

The coin looks to have adequate or better luster, based on the images in this thread. I don't understand how it can appear to you to have none. Curiously, how often do you buy coins with medium or deep toning?

Beautiful seated dime. Personally, I like that natural toning. The fields are clean with no distracting marks on the devices.

I say it receives the Green Bean!

Is there a clash below the word dime, on reverse, or is it just my monitor?

Hi John,

I don't have the coin back from CAC yet, but I looked at some high res closeups and from these I don't see a clash there, or on the reverse. There is a couple clashes on the obverse tho'

Happy NY, HT

HI Folks,

Thanks for all of the nice comments. No surprise it seems to anyone, yes, this one did bean. I assume green as I am not sure CAC distinguishes between green and gold but they did list 'PASSED' for this one and not 'EXCEEDED' but again, this is my first submission so I don't know.

This is a lesson in viewing before bidding. The 77-CC I bid from the online images only. For this 57-O, I had a look at the coin during lot viewing before placing the bid. From the fugly auction house images, no way would I have bid. But I like pre-civil war O mint, so I looked and was then ready to go higher than I won it for.

That is it for dimes. I also submitted 6 seated quarters and 2 half dimes. I will start with the quarters this weekend.

Best, HT

HI Folks,

Thanks for all of the nice comments. No surprise it seems to anyone, yes, this one did bean. I assume green as I am not sure CAC distinguishes between green and gold but they did list 'PASSED' for this one and not 'EXCEEDED' but again, this is my first submission so I don't know.

This is a lesson in viewing before bidding. The 77-CC I bid from the online images only. For this 57-O, I had a look at the coin during lot viewing before placing the bid. From the fugly auction house images, no way would I have bid. But I like pre-civil war O mint, so I looked and was then ready to go higher than I won it for.

That is it for dimes. I also submitted 6 seated quarters and 2 half dimes. I will start with the quarters this weekend.

Best, HT

I believe that in the case of a gold sticker, CAC does make note that the coin has "exceeded" (as opposed to having "passed") the grade.

The coin is eye appealing, the surfaces are clean, the strike is good, and based on your comments regarding luster (and how it relates to your photography style), I will say that the coin stickered.