• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost in mail

37 posts in this topic

I am really ticked off!

Handed my latest submissions for grading into NGC at a show. Grading went very well with all of my Conders and gold pieces gaining MS grades and was eagerly awaiting their delivery. Unfortunately NGC required them to be sent to a physical address and not the PO Box that I usually use for safety concerns. "Safety concerns?" one might ask? Yes, the Post Office for my physical address has now lost yet another package (this makes 4) while my PO Box Post Office, a different one, has never lost a single item. This might be the last submission of mine to NGC rantrant

It was lost after grading by the local Post Office (grrr) .... I had followed the online tracking and was waiting/working outside all day when I saw that it was "out for delivery"

Well ..... they delivered the REGISTERED package not only to the wrong address (about 40 blocks away), but apparently also to the wrong street! They even got a signature but obviously didn't look at it.

And one wonders why I tried many times to convince NGC to send it to my PO Box .... not only do I keep my physical address unknown to the "bad guys" but also a regular or insured package such as this is kept in a locked cage and not in a one-person delivery truck away from other watchful eyes.

Do you use your physical address for your credit card billing? I know a lot of businesses require that the shipping address be the same as the credit card address. That is why I use my PO Box for my bank/credit card statements. I've used my PO Box for NGC shipments for years.

I'm sorry that your shipment was lost. If you've had that many losses from the same USPS office, it sounds to me like it might be an inside job. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Chris

Yes, anything and everything else comes to my PO Box .... other than the occasional UPS or FedEx delivery the only mail I get at my physical address is junk mail and NGC packages (and NGC said they wouldn't accept my PO Box for delivery)

No, other shippers as well as one other NGC shipment .... that one, a book, was eventually found and redelivered but that package was torn open on the corner exposing the contents .... suspicious, especially if you know how well they package them.

That sounds like a post office problem, not an NGC problem.

Have you talked to NGC, explained the situation and asked that you be able to receive packages at your PO box?.

And hopefully, the package will show up. Many packages are delayed and/or temporarily lost, but far fewer are permanently lost.

Mark, I am hoping just that .... but the person I spoke with said the delivery was made by a substitute driver (all the lost deliveries have been made by "substitutes" .... highly unlikely).

Why can't NGC offer other means of delivery other than the Post Office .... I have no confidence in them anymore, and would pay extra for UPS or FedEx.

Three things:

*NGC has delivered packages to my PO Box, I wonder why they won't deliver to yours? I mean, it's always held in the safe at my local PO...

*I had this happen when I was in SLC. I lived in an apartment building with one of those communal mail drops...carrier left the registered mail package ON TOP of it. Not even at my apt...I complained and, guess what, it was a "substitute driver." Just like the time a package of my was marked "undeliverable as addressed" and went between my apt and germany a few times, even after I'd spoken with an employee at the downtown PO while it was sitting there...again, they blamed the mislabeling as the fault of a "substitute driver." I became convinced that that's just something they use to get people to give up and say, well, what are you gonna do?

Personally, if this had happened to me more than once, I'd be getting the police and the Inspector General of the PO involved. If you can find a way through their automated answering service...

*I thought there was an option on the submission form to have return shipping handled by FedEx, Express Mail, UPS. Just looked at one of my old forms and it's definitely there.

Jimmy,

All insured or registered deliveries to the PO Box are kept in a locked cage until claimed at the post office delivery window. Other deliveries, such as Priority Mail packages etc are placed in delivery boxes with a key placed in your box so you can claim it. Both are much more secure than having a post office driver deliver it .... they have no supervision while in their truck and can rummage thru "interesting" packages.

call your post office today

tell them if they do not find your registered package today

you are going to file a grand theft complaint with your local police and

a registered mail theft charge with the US Postal Inspection Service

and somebody at their post office will probably lose their job over losing control of a registered package.

I would also make a list of all the serial #'s you'd had stolen and deliver that list to each and every pawn shop, coin shop, gold exchange, auction house, and police station saying they were stolen. I'd also save them in my eBay saved searches so it would notify me if they ever came up for sale.

Something reminded me of that quote from Pulp Fiction:

"and you will KNOW my name is the LORD when I lay my vengeance upon thee..."

I would also make a list of all the serial #'s you'd had stolen and deliver that list to each and every pawn shop, coin shop, gold exchange, auction house, and police station saying they were stolen. I'd also save them in my eBay saved searches so it would notify me if they ever came up for sale."

Excellent suggestions, but I live in Houston and there must be a hundred pawn shops in town. I will most likely notify the big coin shops and the police if the Post Office (already notified) doesn't "find" the package today. Ebay saved searches is an excellent idea as well .... thanks for these suggestions

Postal Inspectors will be more effective than message boards. One person having had multiple USPS losses is sometimes coincidental and occasionally not.

call your post office today

tell them if they do not find your registered package today

you are going to file a grand theft complaint with your local police and

a registered mail theft charge with the US Postal Inspection Service

and somebody at their post office will probably lose their job over losing control of a registered package.

I think they know I mean business from my call earlier, but if they aren't found I will do as you suggest. I think I am a reasonable and patient (less so this time) and will give then two days to correct it. I just don't think they will this time, and sooo tired of having to fight them.

Our intense sympathies for your loss, let's hope it's a temporary loss. The delivery person and the wrong recipient should both be held liable by the police. As for NGC, they've never delivered to me except at my PO Box, I can't imagine why an outside street address was required of you. Someone from NGC should officially comment on this thread and incident please.

Delta,

Thanks. I am sure that NGC is not at fault in this case, and I will get in touch with them on my next (if I decide to do so) submission. At least they were well insured although some of the Conder tokens would be very difficult to replace.

I have lost my rant status as of this morning and taking the incident as one of those facts of life. All those years living in the Far East (among other places) seems to have rubbed off on me as I listen to my Theravāda guides ...

If NGC will not allow you to use a PO box for delivery, I can't do business with NGC except at a major show like FUN where I can submit and pick up the item at the show. NO ONE in the coin business gets my street address. That has been true for more than 30 years. If you can't deal with my PO Box, then I can't deal with you.

Jimmy,

All insured or registered deliveries to the PO Box are kept in a locked cage until claimed at the post office delivery window. Other deliveries, such as Priority Mail packages etc are placed in delivery boxes with a key placed in your box so you can claim it. Both are much more secure than having a post office driver deliver it .... they have no supervision while in their truck and can rummage thru "interesting" packages.

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Don't let this one instance sour your entire experience with NGC!

This is one of my major concerns about joining here, losing my prized possessions in the mail. I have to use a PO Box delivery for anything I get in the mail and actually get a tongue lashing from my local PO if I don't use my PO Box. I get told my street address "is not your delivery address"!!! So, I'm with Bill, if I can't use my PO Box, I can't use this service. :(

Good luck on sorting this out and finding your lost coins!!!

I have had only TWO problems with coin deliveries in the last 10+ years with my post office.

#1 was a coin missing in a package I received. A very find slit was put into the manila envelope (couldn't really see it if you didn't look or "squish" the package and see it poof open). I had just signed and was a couple steps out the door when I opened it up and noticed it. Went immediately back in and had the gal note the issue at the time in case there was any trouble filing insurance. Went back to the seller, he refunded me and went for the insurance and there were no problems. I would rather have had the coin though...looked really nice in the pics :(

#2 was an overnighted package with 2 gold coins worth ~$3500. Like the OP, I was watching the online tracking and was waiting for it. They "stopped by" twice, they said, before lunch. When I saw it as "notice left", I got PO'ed and called them. Instead of waiting a day, they said to come right down. I did so. After 30 minutes of them looking for it (someone had gone to lunch so I got the temp dude who 'remembered' the package), come to find out he had given it out to the wrong person who came in for their own package.

I got the manager of the post office and we had a chat. I told him there would be a claim for the full amount of almost $4000 and I would escalate since they obviously gave it to the wrong person.

I had worked with him for a few years and he knew who I was and we were cool with each other. He asked me for some patience and gave me his direct number. Within 90 minutes I had to correct, unopened, package in my hand. They had sent someone out to the one who had gotten it, gave them their package and got mine back, and driven to my house to meet with me.

GO TO THE LOCAL POSTMASTER - IN PERSON - ASAP and be firm but polite. They have a problem with their local branch and you need to call it out to them and not be screwed around. Then contact the POSTMASTER GENERAL as the problem needs to be exposed and handled at a high level.

I have had only TWO problems with coin deliveries in the last 10+ years with my post office.

#1 was a coin missing in a package I received. A very find slit was put into the manila envelope (couldn't really see it if you didn't look or "squish" the package and see it poof open). I had just signed and was a couple steps out the door when I opened it up and noticed it. Went immediately back in and had the gal note the issue at the time in case there was any trouble filing insurance. Went back to the seller, he refunded me and went for the insurance and there were no problems. I would rather have had the coin though...looked really nice in the pics :(

#2 was an overnighted package with 2 gold coins worth ~$3500. Like the OP, I was watching the online tracking and was waiting for it. They "stopped by" twice, they said, before lunch. When I saw it as "notice left", I got PO'ed and called them. Instead of waiting a day, they said to come right down. I did so. After 30 minutes of them looking for it (someone had gone to lunch so I got the temp dude who 'remembered' the package), come to find out he had given it out to the wrong person who came in for their own package.

I got the manager of the post office and we had a chat. I told him there would be a claim for the full amount of almost $4000 and I would escalate since they obviously gave it to the wrong person.

I had worked with him for a few years and he knew who I was and we were cool with each other. He asked me for some patience and gave me his direct number. Within 90 minutes I had to correct, unopened, package in my hand. They had sent someone out to the one who had gotten it, gave them their package and got mine back, and driven to my house to meet with me.

GO TO THE POSTMASTER GENERAL - IN PERSON - ASAP and be firm but polite. They have a problem with their local branch and you need to call it out to them and not be screwed around.

Your advice is sound, but I believe you mean the local Postmaster.

The Postmaster General, well, maybe he would see the OP, in D.C., but..... :foryou:

GO TO THE POSTMASTER GENERAL - IN PERSON - ASAP and be firm but polite. They have a problem with their local branch and you need to call it out to them and not be screwed around.

Your advice is sound, but I believe you mean the local Postmaster.

The Postmaster General, well, maybe he would see the OP, in D.C., but..... :foryou:

True...local postmaster...but escalate to Postmaster General since it is a recurring them (OP said 4 times so far)....

First off let me say I'm sorry for your problem. Have you talked to the postmaster in person? Problems get handled a lot faster with person to person communications when dealing with the P.O. Have you shown them the address where it was delivered? They should send someone from management to that address to retrieve the package and would probably call the local police or Postal Inspectors if they have any problems getting it back. NGC sends all my packages to my P.O. box, as someone else has said it might be your credit card has your street address as primary address, that's what is causing the problem I think. The Postmaster General will more than likely not take your call, when speaking to your local Postmaster ask him/her for the name and phone number of their boss and call that person if you don't get satisfaction. File a claim for a lost package and be sure to bring all relevant documents with you including a copy of the tracking info if possible. Keep us posted and I will try to offer any help I can...MAILMAN

I am a little confused - you said tracking and registered - which does not happen together for us consumers. Registered is tracked by the USPS intranet, but not visible to outside people. They are slower delivery because they are signed for and under lock and key between each location of delivery process.

Hopefully NGC has it insured for full value, although most people do not know values without grades.

You will probably need to file a complaint with the US Postal Inspection service if it does not show up. Besides insurance claim.

The USPS has postal police to ensure events like this are investigated but you have to rattle their cage. I'd visit the local Postmaster and put the fear of God in him/her.

This is not a coincidence.

It's amazing what a little cage rattling will do .... I just got a "special delivery" and an apology from my postman .... yes, I got my package, thank goodness. Thanks for everyone's input (and patience on my rant). I will have to address the physical address/PO Box issue or else I won't be submitting anymore items. For now I will just enjoy my coins for a bit and get ready to post the new Conders (for me) in my Custom Registry including:

MS64BN Sussex-Brighton D&H-9 (Spence's 1795 1/2d Bastille/ships and arms)

MS64BN Worcestershire D&H-15b (Spence's ND (1790's) 1/2d Dudley Castle/Highlander)

MS64RB Somerset-Bath D&H-8 (Lambe's 1794 1d camel/India House)

While I don't show other coins in my collection (due to the fact that I type collect and the Registry isn't really set up to do so with world coins) these tokens are seldom seen by most, and I feel the need to share my appreciation for the works of art they really are ....

Happy New Year!

Wendy