• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this PCGS holder look suspicious to you?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am collecting the Liberty Seated dime series and recently spotted this coin for auction on E***. Does this holder look genuine/ I don't recognize it

Thanks for your help!

Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1885s-seated-liberty-dime-pcgs-vg08-rare-coin-/111247311694?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item19e6db434e

143799.jpg.92028518e61b40a2fd1ad59ecc150ecd.jpg

143800.jpg.571c49ef1fa3c18bcd792e8d240a5963.jpg

That is defintely not a genuine label or slab. Unless there is something I'm not aware of, I have never seen a PCGS holder that uses a solid white insert to hold their coins. It all looks fake to me. I'd stay away from it.

I've never seen a PCGS holder like that. Let the shady description add to your suspicion.

From listing description: "this is a great coin very rare in beautiful cond. a must have for any collecter you can look this coin up an verify this coin it is genuine its worth a 1000.00 write now will take 700.00"

The below link is the coin the cert number comes back to. It was sold at auction in an authentic PCGS slab in 2009. Even though the current listing has blurry photos, it doesn't even remotely resemble the one sold by Heritage.

Actual coin for PCGS cert 4915590:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?hdnJumpToLot=1&saleNo=1128&lotNo=7629&x=0&y=0

Stay away!

It is definitely NOT a PCGS slab of any description.

Here is a piece of advice you can take to the bank - Bad, out of focus pictures in recent times have become the hallmark of a scam. Stay away ... Don't even think about it.

As I'm sure others did, I reported it as fraudulent this morning. That's a scumbag move that I'd hate to see someone bite on. Good to see that they took care of it that quickly.

Take authentic PCGS graded coin.

Crack coin.

Take coin worth much less, insert from cracked coin and add in a self-slab slab.

Put the 3 together, give blurry picture. Sell.

Cert # will show correct as it was authentic. Coin is not currently PCGS stabbed so insert means nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Coin is being used to troll for someone trying to buy something too good to be true, or the uninformed, or both.

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. I thought the coin looked suspicious to me as well.

Personally I have been trying to collect lower graded Seated Liberty's to place most of them in an album for easier storage and viewing. Some of them like the Barber and Mercury series will definitely stay in slabs due to their moon money prices and rarity issues. That listing now removed definitely set off alarm bells. I am glad Ebay removed it before anyone could get scammed.

Happy new Year All!

Tom