• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of my newest additions to my Peace $ set...

16 posts in this topic

I was never a huge fan of peaces, but that one sure is pretty! grin.gif

I might have to take a look at some of the ones I have stashed away at my parents smile.gif

Very sweet coin Peace Fan! I'd imagine that the star designation on an MS64 Peace dollar is quite a rare occurrence! cool.gif

Hoot

Very sweet coin Peace Fan! I'd imagine that the star designation on an MS64 Peace dollar is quite a rare occurrence!

You got me thinking, so I checked the NGC population report and this coin is the ONLY MS64* coin currently in existence for this issue. Had I known I wouldn't have bargained quite so hard with the seller. Can I call this a pop 1 coin? smile.gif

That explains why I have never seen a * Peace Dollar, there is only one (!), but hell, I have only been collecting Peace Dollars for 30 years. What do I know?

Nice coin by the way. I would hang on to it. You have an original!

Nice Peace Dollar set. web page Here is my Peace Dollar set.

CDR, you've got a great set yourself! I enjoy the detail and pictures that you included with your set; I read every sentence and expanded every picture. I'm inspired to do the same for my set when I have time. I haven't figured out the lighting yet to get good representative pictures....gotta experiment some more.

I'd love to talk to you about the series sometime in more detail; my wife has heard it all by now, and I've still got more to say. laugh.gif

BTW, if you run across a 27 D and/or a 28 S in MS64 I'd be grateful for the lead; my sources aren't helping much, and I'm VERY picky....gotta be blast white with a full strike. Cheers!

I wrote you a reply several days ago but it disapeared into the ozone (I have a lot of Senior Moments). I need to do some digital photos of some of my Peace Dollars, particularly the "S" mint dollars that show as blue when they are white.

As for the coins that you are looking for: I also am looking for a 1927-D Peace in MS64. I have been looking for six months but all the '27-D dollars that I have seen for sale had too many prominent scars on the obverse. This is a real problem for all 1927 Peace Dollars, from all mints.

The 1928-S Peace Dollars are available, but you will not pay bid ($800) for nice ones. The last MS64 that I purchased cost almost $1000, and that was a year ago (in an auction). They are higher now. Heritage sold a '28-S, MS64 at auction in January, 2003 and it went for $1380! Heritage has not sold many '28-S coins in auction, compared to most other dates.

These '28-S coins are often poorly struck as well. Finding a well stuck example is difficult. I will keep my eyes open and if I see one of these coins, that is nice, I will let you know. In the meantime, you should check the auctions also.

Good luck with your collection and if I can answer any questions, let me know.

I'm Impressed!!! Those are beautiful collections Barry and CDR. Makes me feel like a piker but at least I see that the big score points start up in the MS64-65 range among the rarer dates.

Do either of you have the time or money for other sets? Twowood

Thanks for the compliment. My set certainly didn't start where it is now; I started with a handful of circulated coins and started wondering what they looked like when they came off the press. One thing led to another, and here we are. The thing about collecting coins is that the more familiar you become with a certain set, the more you want to collect higher and higher quality coins. The MS63 coin that I used to adore, is now full of marks that I never noticed before. Watch out, this virus is contagious and you'll catch it too.

I've been putting coins away for years, and I suppose I have some sample of just about every US coin there is, but my first love is still the Peace Dollar. I have a set of Morgans that is about 1/3 complete in MS64, but I don't invest any time or money in it anymore. My coin budget is totally focused on upgrading my Peace set at this time.

Thanks for the kudos on my Peace Dollar set.

I am retired on Medical Disability. I have lots of time to do all my hobbies that do not require exertion. I have 8 or 9 Registry Sets of which, 3 are very active and 1 other is periodically active. They are gold and silverTrimes. Of the 2 gold sets that are active, each has the problem of availability of coins (particularly Half Eagles). Supposedly, there is no reason why I can not seem to finish my Half-Eagle set. Practically speaking though, the coins are not easily acquired in grades that I can afford.

With mySaints set, the issue is money and availability, because I have almost all of the more common dates. Now it becomes an issue of money, as well as availability of specimens that I can somehow afford without another mortgage on my house.

My Peace Dollar set is, along with the Saints, a lifelong pursuit. I still have some MS63, Peace Dollars that need to be upgraded. Plus, my Peace set is complete. I will never complete the Saint's set it is too expensive from here on.

I gave up on pre-1958 Lincoln's, Type sets (one of which was removed from the Registry) and Ike proof Sets. Those sets were diluting my funds too much. As for your Peace Dollar set, just keep plugging along. That is how I have built my sets. Be patient and satisfaction will come.

Charlie