• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Photo Contest - Semi-Final Round - Obverse!

Obverse Semi-Final Round!   

153 members have voted

1. 1. Obverse Semi-Final Round!

17 posts in this topic

So at long last, I finally got time to get all the photos together. As you can see, there are a lot of very-high quality pictures. You guys are going to have a really tough time with this!

This is how its going to work:

1.) There will be a Semi-Final round each for obverse and reverse. In this round, you will be able to select your favorite 4 images, each of obverse and reverse.

2.) Voting in the Semi-Final Round will close on December 27 at midnight. This gives you one week to make your decision.

3.) The Top 4 in each Semi-Final round will make it to the Final Round, where the winning obverse and reverse will be crowned.

4.) The images are all random - they are not in the order taken, received, shipped, or any other order. Only I know who's images are which.

Good luck to everyone! This was an incredibly tough coin to image (which is the whole point of the contest), but you guys did a really good job with it.

The Reverse Semi-Final Round is here. Vote now!

Contestant 1

contestant1obverse_zps7a7c0cf0.jpg

Contestant 2

contestant2obverse_zpsc1bee5a7.jpg

Contestant 3

contestant3obverse_zps0848998c.jpg

Contestant 4

contestant4obverse_zps2e867952.jpg

Contestant 5

Withdrawn

Contestant 6

contestant6obverse_zpsdb166e01.jpg

Contestant 7

contestant7obverse_zps17aeb086.jpg

Contestant 8

contestant8obverse_zps7d0cb3f8.jpg

Contestant 9

contestant9obverse_zpsb24261ae.jpg

Contestant 10

contestant10obverse_zps215ee27e.jpg

Contestant 11

contestant11obverse_zpsecfef5c6.jpg

Contestant 12

contestant12obverse_zps253f5984.jpg

Very interesting to see the different interpretations of the coin via lighting technique.

This is going to be fun to see the results.

I voted for only 3 reverses and 4 obverses.

I voted and I must say that I was able to get down to six relatively quickly but after that

it was ver tough to decide.

this is an excellent exercise and thanks for doing it!

and thanks to all the participants for sharing as well.

I had to crop them and put them side by side as one photo so I could scroll easily through them.

here is the link to images dont forget to hit zoom

http://s967.photobucket.com/user/mhomei/library/ngc%20photo%20contest?sort=3&page=1

so basically do not trust anyone's images for anything
It's a shame you feel that way.

Most of us know that many coins, especially proof or proof-like ones, can have remarkably different appearances depending on lighting type, intensity, angle, etc. Some photographers will go for the corner-case color and splash. It garners oohs and ahs. Maybe more money (or votes).

Others will shoot what appears to them to be realistic images. What most of us would see viewing the coin square, in ordinary light, with gentle rotation.

The trick is knowing what the photographer does/likes. None of the images above are wrong. It kinda comes down to interpretation.

Lance.

A good seller of a coin like this would have pictures of all aspects of the coin. Were there any times that you bought a nice coin at an auction with pictures of one aspect of a coin and it turned out had better aspects of it you liked better? It's not really a trust issue with pictures but more like a perception! Sometimes it's hard, but you have to try to see thru the good to see the bad and vice versa when viewing coins with only pictures.

This isn't a typical listing. It's a contest in which the owner asked for certain things to be imaged. Some of the photographers attempted to accommodate the requests and some didn't.