• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916-s cent

18 posts in this topic

I'm a bit confused about the high areas on the Obverse. Could be weak strike, but with the muted luster on Lincolns shoulder and other areas, I think it's wear. The rim ding at 9 o'clock on the Reverse makes me think the coin is lightly circulated.

AU 55-58

Carl

Thanks for all the guesses.

I have always liked the GTG forum it is good fun even if not completely reliable.

I bought this coin in a PCGS 64BN holder. I paid 63 money when I bought it. Then cracked it out to place in an album with a few other toned wheats.

In the holder the luster appeared much stronger. I suppose the light was refracting in a favorable manor.

The bag marks were not at all obvious even with proper lighting and magnification.

Once I cracked it out the luster was obviously not as strong, and the bag marks really showed themselves.

I may be too hard on the coin since I was expecting more, but my opinion was 62 after cracking it out.

I do still enjoy the toning on this coin which is why I picked it up to begin with.

I should also add that while I have not cracked a lot of coins this is the only coin that I thought appeared worse out of the holder.

Jim

was that grader looking at the same coin we are? IMHO it is nowhere near a 64 regardless of the color

The fact that you have to remember is that photography often makes marks look larger and more prominent in the picture than they are in real life. The MS-64 grade might be a point too high, but it has been my experience with modern (post 1900) coins that I have to buy pieces graded MS-65 and higher to get coins that I really liked.

was that grader looking at the same coin we are? IMHO it is nowhere near a 64 regardless of the color

The majority of the grade guesses were in the MS63-64 range.