• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elvis's $20 St. Gauden's Necklace 4 Auction...

16 posts in this topic

at Heritage...

Pretty cool if you like gold coins and Elvis Presley...

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7082&lotNo=46261

And for those that dont have that kind of budget here's Stevie Ray Vaughan's autograph on a $2 bill...

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7082&lotNo=46492

That funny! Thanks for the humor....anyone could buy the pieces for that at a coin show. Unless Elvis signed the letter of "authenticity" it is just an unsupported claim.

The crazy thing is there are people out there that will buy ANYTHING with any connection to Elvis. Even just printing his name on a random item can cause it to be sold to a fanatic Elvis fan at a premium. Whether or not that holds true at the higher price levels I'm not sure.

Sounds like the ultimate cash cow --- stamp all those fake 1804 dollars and Colorado Counterfeits with "ELVIS" in big letters, maybe add some sparkling bits of irradiated quartz, and offer them at hefty prices. These could be the "coins" that Elvis was going to throw at the next Mardi Gras parade....

The estimate is 40K +!!

The guy had talent, but not that much talent. The Beatles wrote most of their music. Elvis wrote "Love Me Tender," and that was it.

Actually Ken Darby and his wife Vera Matson wrote the lyrics. The music came from a civil war era song "Aura Lee" by George Poulton.

Elvis was "the right guy at the right time--a white man who could make race music salable to the American public." (Sam Phillips)

Edit to add: As to the OP I have very little doubt that it will sell.

Aura Lee Lyrics [From: http://www.elyrics.net ]

(There are many versions of the lyrics.)

1. As the blackbird in the spring,

'neath the willow tree;

Sat and piped I heard him sing,

praising Aura Lee.

Aura Lee! Aura Lee! Maid of golden hair,

Sunshine came along with thee and swallows in the air.

2. Take my heart and take my ring,

I give my all to thee;

Take me for eternity,

dearest Aura Lee!

3. In her blush the rose was born,

'twas music when she spoke;

In her eyes the light of morn,

sparkling seemed to break.

1924 is the MOST common date. Add a heavy gold chain and it still won't come anywhere near 25K. You are only paying for the ELVIS factor, which I like, but not for THAT much.

+1, rational collectors wouldn't give a second thought on passing on that purchase.

Carl

1924 is the MOST common date. Add a heavy gold chain and it still won't come anywhere near 25K. You are only paying for the ELVIS factor, which I like, but not for THAT much.

+1, rational collectors wouldn't give a second thought on passing on that purchase.

Carl

Yes, but as stated above, most Elvis collectors AREN'T rational. (Of course, I can personally attest to the same thing about Beatles collectors--we just THINK coins are expensive when compared their nominal value. :screwy: )

At $40k the question really becomes can this item increase in value through the years ?

With Elvis fans aging (probably the average age of an Elvis fan has to be 60-70) is anyone going to be around to buy this item in another 10 yrs at a higher price ?

How many 20-30 yr old Elvis fans are there ? And once Elvis fans die off will this necklace just revert in price to its intrinsic gold value ?

Or will Elvis and his fame last much longer ?

This could be an answer regarding the longevity of Elvis fans. Stay with it through the French intro and you may be surprised. Apparently there are some younger fans. Not a huge fan of Elvis, but this kid rocks big time.

Carl