• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got the Holiday off to a great start

6 posts in this topic

GSA grading result in, coin arrives safely thru Northeast storm

Hi fellow collectors,

As an update to the Nov 12 journal I posted on the Balt Show, I wrote that I purchased a crescent obversed toned 1881 CC GSA and was hoping 63* to validate the puchase price

Well, last week I saw that I indeed received the 63* grade and today the coin safely arrived, finally ! I rarely submit raw coins, in fact this was my only grading submission to NGC in 2013 so very happy with the result.

The 1881CC is a better date and is my 2nd GSA purchase, complementing the 1884CC 63* purchased earlier this yr.

The coin is also obverse crescent toned, this one from 11-3 o'clock with lovely blue and gold rim toning. I will post a pic when my photo skills improve, in the mean time NGC did a goood job with their image.

I am only going to hunt obverse toning on these coins. It will take longer to complete the set this way ( probably a good $ thing ) but I love both the hunt and the challenge of a nicely matched set.

In closing. my collecting this set was inspired by this board, particularly the writings of Mr Bo Jingles, so a big "thank you" Mr BJ.

Thanks for reading, and Happy Thanksgiving !

RichH

See more journals by RichH

Rich,

That sure sounds swell!! I have a tip on a hundred or so GSA's if anyone is interested. "No" they are not mine but were offered to me. I just don't feel like submitting those along with all the moderns I do now.

NGC gets enough $$ from me already :grin:

Expect a pic of that sweet toner SOON!!! Super Size It!!

Good question Dave.

Lots of Morgans and other coins with toning don't get the star.

I am looking for a particular crescent rim toning pattern and color that really accentuates Miss Liberty's profile. I thought the coin very comparable to my previous 63* and a worthy match. Bottom line on the color is that I found the coin particularly attractive to my eye, so even if no star, I still liked the coin.

I also think that technically the coin has very few nicks compared to other 63's, so high end from that aspect also. The combo of the two variables is why I thought the grade was a reasonable guess/ outcome.

Then again, as the saying goes, " I'd rather be lucky than good"

Anyway. it worked out really well and although I think I am an ok grader, not sure I need to take alot of chances like this.

Cheers !

Rich