• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862 Seated Liberty Half Dime NGC GRADE in 1st POST!!!!!

18 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

Submitted this coin and received grade just in time for Christmas! :grin:

1862-H10C-NGC3748326-003_obv.jpg

-- Original Post --

Having not a Half Dime and needing one for my Dansco 7070 I opted for the one below. It's raw and not in hand yet but opinions appreciated.

I find her rather attractive with the only thing slightly bothersome to me being the scuffs in the reverse field to the right of F in HALF and above the E in DIME.

tn_1862-Half-Dime-Obv.jpg

tn_1862-Half-Dime-Rev.jpg

It looks attractive. The only concern I have is with the perpendicular lines that are running down the obverse. They may be die polishing or planchet striations, but if, using a 10X glass, they are INTO the surface, that could be a concern. The small marks on the reverse do not concern me very much.

It looks attractive. The only concern I have is with the perpendicular lines that are running down the obverse. They may be die polishing or planchet striations, but if, using a 10X glass, they are INTO the surface, that could be a concern. The small marks on the reverse do not concern me very much.

I would be very surprised if those lines are anything other than die polish, especially since it's quite common on that date. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edited to add: My grade guess would be MS63.

My initial thought looking at the coin was cleaning, but the seller specifically stated: "The parallel lines on the obverse are die polish lines, *not* a result of cleaning"

After studying the photos I felt comfortable that they are indeed die polish lines as they do not appear to travel across the devices.

I would be very surprised if those lines are anything other than die polish, especially since it's quite common on that date. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edited to add: My grade guess would be MS63.

I agree with Mark. I also don't see any signs of the marks going "over" the devices. But, a glass in hand is the only way to tell. The coin has a lot of eye appeal. (thumbs u

I find her rather attractive with the only thing slightly bothersome to me being the scuffs in the reverse field to the right of F in HALF and above the E in DIME.

Those appear to be clash marks to me..... very nice addition!!

Those appear to be clash marks to me..... very nice addition!!

Clash marks indeed!

Coin is in hand and I am overly pleased.

The obverse parallel vertical lines do not cross any devices. This does suggest die polish lines, however even with a 16x loupe I am having trouble determining if the lines are raised or incuse. I would think though that if the lines were incuse planchet striations they would be visible on the devices as well? Is there a trick to determining if the lines are raised? In any case, I think I can rule out cleaning.

The obverse color is pretty close to the images in the first post but much lighter and more translucent than indicated. Just inside the denticles there is a band of tone which is more steely gray that works its way out as far as the top of the legend and bottom of the date.

The reverse likewise is lighter than the pictures indicate and the darker toning between the denticles and wreath are a kind of chestnut with a few minor hints of sea foam green.

AcesKings correctly identified the die clash in the area where I expressed concern about the "scuffs" and highlighted in red below. Looking at the reverse now I can identify more clash marks.

Many thanks for all the replies. I'd say 64 and probably be off a point either way (shrug)

tn_1862-Half-Dime-clash.jpg

tn_1862-Half-Dime-Rev.jpg

my guess was 64

You were dead on!!! (thumbs u

but i thought you said this coin was going in your 7070? you decided to send it in?

bought with full intention of putting in my 7070 set, but after all the feedback thought it was worthy of submission and is now the 1st coin to be added into my US Type Set, Including Modern Issues