• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to turn a $40 coin into a $5 coin.

10 posts in this topic

Why would you try to cross a PCGS PF70 to NGC when the best result would be a slab of lesser value (and yes I meant slab)?

PF Quarter

No, the best result would be a happy collector who had wanted his coin to be in an NGC holder, knew there would be a drop in value and didn't care. That said, I wonder why he didn't buy the coin in an NGC holder in the first place.

I have seen numerous collectors willingly cross coins to lower grade PCGS holders, which resulted in far greater reductions in value than the example you cited.

Sometimes people are trying to make a matching set and as Mark points out, it's not about the money. In this case the coin down-graded, obviously not what the seller on eBay wanted. Perhaps he is selling because it's not a 70.

- Ian

To each his own, but he could have sold the PCGS slab and bought the NGC PF70 for the matching set and made a profit.

Instead he paid to crossover and it cost him at least twice what it should.

I agree not everything is about the money...but to frivolously waste money on something so common is foolish...I don't care what his intent was.

When people seemingly unwisely throw money at grading services, I simply tell myself that they're doing their part to keep the costs down for those of us who pay for grading somewhat more judiciously. Whatevz.

Most likely a baiting tactic. Why would anyone willing to admit to knowingly do something as such? The coin has probably never seen the inside of the competitors plastic, but yet hinting it will cross back again @ PF70

Isn't it against e-Bay rules to include a grading service other than what's being sold?