• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COIN APPRECIATION 101 - UNDERSTANDING EYE MOVEMENT

16 posts in this topic

Take a Picasso sketch and color it. Is it still a Picasso? Take a Morgan dollar and color it. Is it still a Morgan? Who knows how your eye is now moving through the sketch or the dollar? They're different works of art, now. They're not the works of art of the artists.

If you're like most collectors you probably haven't the first clue what this eye movement business is. But, I'm going to assure you, the engraver did. And, that's just a fact.

So, let's start, there, with the engraver, and let's try to understand what this is. The engraver went to a lot of trouble to control it. We might as well.

Every artist (and, the engraver is an artist) tries to control your eye movement through his artwork. They do that because they know it's probably the major determinant in how you're going to come away feeling about the artwork. They use things like lines, and shapes, and spacing, and depth, and blurring, and detail, and, when the medium permits, color, to take your eye through the artwork in the specific way they're intending, to deliver the symbolic expression they're intending, all art, of course, being symbolic expression. Rembrandt was a master at this. Picasso, too, although in a more stripped, elemental format. It's fundamental, however, with every artist who has any idea what he's doing. If the artist understands anything about his craft, he understands how to use these elements, to deliver the expression he's intending.

So, let me just leave it at this. We have an Internet, now, so, if you want, you can study this principle in more depth. The next time you look at a coin, try to pay attention to how your eye is moving through it, and try to give credit to the engraver's skills and mastery of his craft for that. Try to understand, he's taking your eye through the coin, in that specific, controlled way. Try to admire him for how well he did that. Just one condition. If there's color on the coin, forget it. You just lost the engraver. You lose his eye movement, you lose his expression, you lose him. Pay attention to where he chose to put the detail. That's the first, and foremost, on a coin. Notice how your eye is taken right to the detail, and is being drawn through the coin, following the detail. For the most part, that's where your eye is pausing, however momentarily. That's what's dictating your eye movement through the coin.

Again, there's a lot more to it than this. If you're interested, we have Google. This is just an introduction, a primer. Hope you enjoyed it.

I understand completely the point you are making. It is part of the reason why I enjoy collecting 19th century French medals. I think you will find that many of these medallic artists also designed the coinages for various other countries.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Due to the vast underwhelming reception this got from this groovy bunch, I think I'll just let it go at this. The kids in my kid's coin club understand this, as well. So, there's still hope for us, lol.

I thought this was a good post. I understand what you are trying to convey. The detail is the sculptor's primary means of expression. This is just one reason why I like strike so much.

Thanks, Chris. Due to the vast underwhelming reception this got from this groovy bunch, I think I'll just let it go at this. The kids in my kid's coin club understand this, as well. So, there's still hope for us, lol.

Given the majority of your posts I am sure the topic of this post has little to do with the reception.

I will let it go at that.

Yes, Yes I know do not feed the trolls

Given the majority of your posts I am sure the topic of this post has little to do with the reception.

But you couldn't resist, right? Yeah, I understand. You spend all your time admiring color. And this aspect woke you up.

Tell you what, go back to sleep.

But you couldn't resist, right? Yeah, I understand. You spend all your time admiring color. And this aspect woke you up.

You reap what you sow. lol

Ah, the leader of the lynch mob. Another one who can't deal with the fact he's collecting coins purely on emotion. I can feel the noose tightening around my neck, already. Which one of you provocative Kool-aid drinkers wants to go next? Step right up. This is your big opportunity.

Ah, the leader of the lynch mob. Another one who can't deal with the fact he's collecting coins purely on emotion. I can feel the noose tightening around my neck, already. Which one of you provocative Kool-aid drinkers wants to go next? Step right up. This is your big opportunity.

At least he collects coins. If you are looking for someone to blame for what you call a "lynch mob", go find a mirror. If you like kool-aid so much, go back ATS! Oh wait, that's right, I forgot. Furthermore, I find it personally insulting that you would anoint Brandon the leader of the lynch mob. I demand an election!

Btw, congratulations on ruining what was by far your best post on this forum.

To the OP point, I completely understand what you are saying but disagree you lose the artistic journey on a coin with color. Your point reasons, I buy one Morgan silver dollar and that's it, no need for another one because the journey will be the same everytime, unless of course the engraver factored in the changing date to alter the viewers experience. My point is this, color change, chemistry, mother nature what have you, just adds to the artistic experience, it adds all the variables you mention, lines, shapes, color, spacing, depth, etc. Granted not from an artistic human brain with intent but achieves an artistic experience none the less. The same reason people enjoy watching and experiencing a sunset, clouds in the sky, the human body, fall colors on trees, etc. Maybe not the best examples but the point being artistic experiences happen without intent from an artist. Blah blah hopefully I made some sort of sense

To the OP point, I completely understand what you are saying but disagree you lose the artistic journey on a coin with color. Your point reasons, I buy one Morgan silver dollar and that's it, no need for another one because the journey will be the same everytime, unless of course the engraver factored in the changing date to alter the viewers experience. My point is this, color change, chemistry, mother nature what have you, just adds to the artistic experience, it adds all the variables you mention, lines, shapes, color, spacing, depth, etc. Granted not from an artistic human brain with intent but achieves an artistic experience none the less. The same reason people enjoy watching and experiencing a sunset, clouds in the sky, the human body, fall colors on trees, etc. Maybe not the best examples but the point being artistic experiences happen without intent from an artist. Blah blah hopefully I made some sort of sense

Absolutely there's an artistic experience or "journey" (I like that way of describing it) in every coin. It's just not what the engraver figured in every coin. Go back to the black and white Picasso sketch. You lose Picasso when you color that.

Just to be clear, I admire eye-appealing toned coins, too. Really.

At least he collects coins. If you are looking for someone to blame for what you call a "lynch mob", go find a mirror. If you like kool-aid so much, go back ATS! Oh wait, that's right, I forgot. Furthermore, I find it personally insulting that you would anoint Brandon the leader of the lynch mob. I demand an election!

Gosh you're relentless! I'll anoint anyone I want, Lehigh! This is a free country!

Gosh you're relentless! I'll anoint anyone I want, Lehigh! This is a free country!

Come on man, you know I deserve the title. Okay, how about co-leaders?

Come on man, you know I deserve the title. Okay, how about co-leaders

I'll think about it. I hate to rush things. In the meantime, if you're still curious as to why I made the decision to no longer hang my shingle ATS, I'll invite you to peruse a thread, on or about my join date, here, with Mark Feld's name on it. I'll just add this. That wasn't a good time ATS to be exhibiting, well, sobriety. I'll also add, just for the record, I have nothing against any of the members, there, personally, I just think the big brains can do a lot better in terms of tolerating dissenting opinions. Yeah, that's what I think. FWIW.

Come on man, you know I deserve the title. Okay, how about co-leaders?

Being as how I've been anointed leader, I resign and appoint Lehigh as the rightful owner of the title. I find it humorous how KurtDog is playing up the "victim" card here. Not to mention, showing his true ignorance -- as I own maybe two dozen "tarnished" coins in my collection (far less than 5%).

lol

KurtDog, you have made it your MO to chime in on every thread imaginable with your anti-everything drivel. When you have something constructive to add to another thread, then I will find it within myself to add something constructive to your threads. Until that time, my take on your OP is that this is all a bunch of hand-waving psycho-babble pseudo-science. While the intent is good, the execution is on par with a 3rd grade book report.

Cheers.

Being as how I've been anointed leader, I resign and appoint Lehigh as the rightful owner of the title. I find it humorous how KurtDog is playing up the "victim" card here. Not to mention, showing his true ignorance -- as I own maybe two dozen "tarnished" coins in my collection (far less than 5%).

lol

KurtDog, you have made it your MO to chime in on every thread imaginable with your anti-everything drivel. When you have something constructive to add to another thread, then I will find it within myself to add something constructive to your threads. Until that time, my take on your OP is that this is all a bunch of hand-waving psycho-babble pseudo-science. While the intent is good, the execution is on par with a 3rd grade book report.

Cheers.

I offer the foregoing as "Defense Exhibit A" on the issue of who's the most deserving of the coveted title. The Defense rests. Now put away your personal crusade and get a life. I'm tiring of it, and of you. You said enough. I'll let it stand. I'll go to the jury on that. Get off my back. Thank you.