• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNEAK PEEK RAINBOW TONED MORGAN DATE SET UP FOR SALE SOON

15 posts in this topic

Hi all you toned coin lovers,

This is a project I have been working on for over 3 years, a 32 piece obverse rainbow toned Morgan dollar date set which will be up for sale/auction within 30 days. This is a set built for presentation purposes with safe, long-term storage in mind; it's new owner will be able to open a felt-lined solid hardwood box and find the following inside:

- velour slip-case that protects a Capital Plastics holder

- color hard-bound book containing images of all coins

- overall grade of the set is about MS63, the '93 is AU58, the '94-O is AU55, the '95-O is a PQ XF45 and are the only three circulated pieces.

- there are a few NGC STAR coins, though I am convinced that at least 1/3 of the coins would garner a STAR had they been graded by NGC instead of PCGS or ANACS.

Everything has been designed as a cohesive whole. I designed the spacing, layout and overall size of the holder in CAD and had Capital Plastics make it for me. It is white with gold lettering and it is one of a kind. It slides into a beautiful blue velour slip case that I had Dazian Fabrics in CA custom make. I then had a beautiful hardwood box custom made to house the whole thing. The box is hand made with about 40 hours of labor in it and it shows, it features beefy life-time hinges and solid brass hardware. It is dark mahogany with maple inlay work, and has the words "in God we trust" in the Morgan font hand-engraved onto the cover of the box. The book is at the printer, and the set will be assembled in it's new holder over the next couple of weeks. About 7 of the 32 coins are uncertified, but they are quite up to par. I have scoured prominent toned coin dealer showcases, and bid the sky on many of the coins in various auction formats. Perhaps some of you will recognize one or two of them that got away. It was me. There are beautiful EOR end roll toners, album-toned, bag toned, and textile toned specimens. Many are double-sided but all were selected to form a more desirable toned set that is all Obverse toned. Are there any true monster coins here? Maybe one or two.

This is a set that may be expensive for some and others will think nothing of the price, I will not be giving it away that's for sure. Its one of those things that if it does not sell I will salt it away and sell later. When I put the listing up on eBay I invite all scrutiny, especially on the raw coins I have chosen to include. Thanks for taking a peek.

10784483213_0796e9b890_o.jpg

10785969646_2dd110d1b6_o.jpg

10785942445_395656e3ed_o.jpg

10786126595_13ef795832_o.jpg

What's the purpose of the plastic holder if the coins are in slabs?

Also, why stick the religious motto on the box cover? Seems like something unique to the design would have been better.

PS: The motto logotype was made by William Key - not Morgan.

"This should be on the BST board, not here".

Actually, not so much. The set's future sale date is to be determined and I think the poster is looking for feedback regarding his future plans regarding these toned U.S. coins.

For my 2 cents I'd suggest taking detailed photographs of each coin in their respective slab, prior to cracking them out. You may not get credit for the grades assigned, but you can certainly dismiss the low ball offers you'll get because you know (and can prove) their assigned grades.

From a return perspective I'd NEVER sell them as a set. You simply won't get the return you'd realize selling the coins individually. That's just a fact.

You may want to post them individually but include in each posting a picture of this coin in it's place within the set, something like that may attract the well to do buyer you're looking for.

I attended an auction last year where a complete set of Indians was sold individually first, then the entire set was auctioned as a set. It was understood that the individual sales would be terminated "if" the complete set price exceeded the combined individual coin prices.

It wasn't even close.

That said, I'd love a winning lottery ticket so you could name your price and I'd pay in hundreds.

Beautiful set and I love the idea of putting them in a Capital Plastics holder and putting them into the box... many will question this idea but as long as the coins are photographed well, the inserts kept and its all tied together I say go for it.

As for selling it as a set I would have to agree that selling them individually will secure a great price but why not do it together - if of course the seller gets the price he wants.

Actually, not so much. The set's future sale date is to be determined and I think the poster is looking for feedback regarding his future plans regarding these toned U.S. coins.

For my 2 cents I'd suggest taking detailed photographs of each coin in their respective slab, prior to cracking them out. You may not get credit for the grades assigned, but you can certainly dismiss the low ball offers you'll get because you know (and can prove) their assigned grades.

From a return perspective I'd NEVER sell them as a set. You simply won't get the return you'd realize selling the coins individually. That's just a fact.

You may want to post them individually but include in each posting a picture of this coin in it's place within the set, something like that may attract the well to do buyer you're looking for.

I attended an auction last year where a complete set of Indians was sold individually first, then the entire set was auctioned as a set. It was understood that the individual sales would be terminated "if" the complete set price exceeded the combined individual coin prices.

It wasn't even close.

That said, I'd love a winning lottery ticket so you could name your price and I'd pay in hundreds.

This was my initial thought, as it isn't for sale yet. I did try to delete the post so I could move it to BST but could not since there was a reply already. This is the second toned date set I have assembled, the first one sold as a set on eBay and I was pleased with the return, however it was only a $7k set and it was in a Danco album. I wanted to do another set with a bit more quality but needed a way to negate any possibility of slide marks so I came up with this solution. The coins will be all cracked out and placed in the holder, and there will be a record of the coins in their holders provided in the booklet I am having printed. I just finished photographing most of the slabs, there is a link here. I will also include a copy of these photos on CD, they are huge (photo of slab is approximately 36" x 72"). I will provide a link for viewing shortly.

Beautiful set and I love the idea of putting them in a Capital Plastics holder and putting them into the box... many will question this idea but as long as the coins are photographed well, the inserts kept and its all tied together I say go for it.

As for selling it as a set I would have to agree that selling them individually will secure a great price but why not do it together - if of course the seller gets the price he wants.

I know it is risky but I am looking for a buyer who wants the whole set... Thanks Tonerguy,

I am going for it. Like I said, if it doesn't sell it already has a home. I just finished photographing most coins last weekend, the photos will be put together in a hard cover book, and photos provided on CD. Here is a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7244956@N03/sets/72157637282226353/

selling individually may get a higher price

but if the sale is not needed, the seller can easily set a price and anyone that really wants it will have to pony up

It smells like spam to me. I agree with Skyman. The title (as of the moment this post is written) has the phrases "up for sale soon" and "sneak peak [sic]" which seem more like an advertisement rather than a solicitation of advice. The post also contains language about when he will list these items on eBay, and the context of the last few sentences doesn't seem like a solicitation of advice either.