• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help with this coin

8 posts in this topic

Not from that photo, I can't. I can't see enough of a coherent word on either side to enable me to guess at the language and start digging.

I am able now to make out one word: "Fernanbus". I googled that and it was related to Spain somehow. After looking at images of "old spanish coins" I saw some silver ones with very similar shield designs. There's a small dog or animal for instance in the top left of shield, which is also in other Spanish coins in their shields, in the same spot. The other side has letters that seem to stand alone, and some look like a mirrored backward image of letters, so I can't make anything out of it, not to say that the letters are too worn. No date is on the coin.

Now the fun begins. It could perhaps be from various Latin American countries. That's probably Fernandus (Latin rendering of Ferdinand, in Spanish Fernando). If you can find a number for him after his name, you'll have it down to that king's reign. Hope it was a short one. The style looks to be 1700s. I'd look under Spain, Peru, Mexico and whatever other countries have similar coins. The image doesn't look like silver to me, so I'd look in the coppers. I think in that timeframe, the subset of the real (which I believe was silver in all denominations) was the maravedi. I'm just shooting from the hip here but that should keep you moving.

If you think this is challenging, go buy some early 1900s random Chinese coins from the junk bin, and have at that. You won't thank me.

Seen it before The symbols on the second picture are those of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain, late 15th century. However it should be silver, and should not be perfectly round.

Thanks for all your input. The details do look mushy, but i thought I checked the edges quite well before. Can't remember, so i'll take it out and look at it again. Since one of you said it should be silver, maybe it is indeed fake. I'll check into it. Thanks again!