• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880 Morgan Dollar Graded?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I have forgotten all about that Morgan Dollar ever since I bought it from flea market. It has a strong blue-green color toned on reverse and some colors on observe. So I want to ask for your opinion what grade it should gets? Is it worth it to send it to NGC to graded it or nah? I know that 1880 is one of most common date in Morgan series.

IMG_0133_zps032c2146.jpg

IMG_0136_zpsb6df7e38.jpg

I'd give it 62. Marks on cheek are killer.

Good pics.

Should you get it graded? Well are you hoping to make it 'worth more' and/or resell it? If so then no. The price of shipping and submitting not worth it.

Now if you just like to keep your coins in good slabs to protect your coins and/or like keeping your collection in holders then yes grade it.

All right, I thought it should be around MS61, but I may be wrong (of course, I am still rookie). I am not planning to sell it or anything, just keeping it in my collection. Thanks guys!

The color is interesting, but the marks knock it down to the MS-62 - 63 area. Therefore it does not have enough of a market value to justify the cost of certification.

Taking an even closer look, not on my phone, there are some more significant hits that I didn't originally see. There are some decent hits on the neck area. There is probably the largest hit between the neck and date. I know this isn't a focal area but it's quite large. Also, the second star south of the M in UNUM, there is what I guess would be best characterized as a scrape/hit. There may even be some slight rub in the hair, could be strike flatness though, hard to tell with the toning in the same area. Lastly, there is what appears to be a sizable scratch between the hair and the 0 in the date. All that being said, it may not even grade at all.