• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these proof coins?? Please help

6 posts in this topic

Hello. Last time i tried posting pics, it didn't work. However, I can briefly detail what i have and it should suffice. What I have is a European Community Coin Collection set with 12 coins. All of the coins look proof to me, especially the British pound, the greece coin, and the gold colored ones. When I looked up the 1992 Greece 10 Drachma in KP's catalogue, there's no proof for that year. How can this be? The "Royal Mint" produced this set, which I assume is the EU's official mint or something, and perhaps they got these coins especially made for their sets. I don't know. Does anyone know? Most of these coins would qualify, as far as i can tell and i'm a serious collector, as proof coins. The greek coin for instance has a cameo effect, frosted head, mirrored fields, etc. Thanks for your help. Maybe these are special varieties not yet found. If you want, look on ebay for the set's name i wrote above and you can see them for yourself. The information card provided with the set accurately details each coin but no proof or other strike designation is provided.

I do not know anything about these coins but I am surprised you cannot find them in Krause.

Without knowing what you have, I do not believe they are a different variety, but maybe have a different finish. They may be proof like or PL if they are not proof strikes.

As for the "Royal Mint", the only ones I know are those in Britain, Canada and Australia. (Maybe New Zealand also but I'm not sure what they call themselves.) I do not know if any of these three struck these coins except for the British coin you specifically mentioned which logically would have been struck there. This predates the Euro but since its introduction, I'm not aware of any such arrangement. All coins to my knowledge are minted in each member country. (Perhaps Luxembourg, San Marino, etc are an exception.)

If you want anyone to look at your pictures, you need to include a link. No one is likely to go searching for it. But even then, absent a catalogue reference, it's probably necessary to inspect them in person to provide the verification you need.

I just uploaded three pics and have them on my desktop. Now what do i do? I don't have a website or something with a link. But maybe there's a link for these pics on my desktop. I don't know. Sorry, I'm not that skillful with comps. I just dragged the pics into this box.

/Users/kellysabet/Desktop/P1080649.JPG

/Users/kellysabet/Desktop/P1080650.JPG

/Users/kellysabet/Desktop/P1080651.JPG

I just uploaded three pics and have them on my desktop. Now what do i do? I don't have a website or something with a link. But maybe there's a link for these pics on my desktop. I don't know. Sorry, I'm not that skillful with comps. I just dragged the pics into this box.

/Users/kellysabet/Desktop/P1080649.JPG

/Users/kellysabet/Desktop/P1080650.JPG

/Users/kellysabet/Desktop/P1080651.JPG

Open a free account with:

www.photobucket.com

This is a great image hosting site. If you have problems using it, you can PM me, and I will help you get started.