• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln Lovers Help

8 posts in this topic

Is there anyway for me to tell the difference between a 1909 VDB proof and a 1909 VDB mint state? I don't grade coins. I have run across a very unique looking and very sharp looking cent which I do realize is highly unlikely a proof so I hate to send it in just to find out which it is. I was hoping there was a trick or something to help me tell. Very little info to go on I know but thought I'd ask for help.

Thanks,

David

From the link Mark provided, All genuine examples known do show high, squared-off inner rims; Breen's proof reference says, "rounding on inner edges is grounds for rejecting the coin."

Rims are one diagnostic and perhaps the most well known.

Thanks to all; it appears to be a proof as evidenced by what another who I asked for help paid for it. He'll send it off for certification and told me he'll keep it in his private collection. Thanks to all especially Mark F. for spot on direct, quick help. I have a closet full if catalogs but using them for research is difficult; Mark made it much easier.

Again thanks,

David , HashTag

A VDB proof would be a nice catch. Pictures would be nice too.

Lance.

+1

I hope the person that is now in care and ownership of that Lincoln, once (and if) verified as a proof, will post some pictures. That would be one hell of a happy ending.