• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it about mintmarks?

13 posts in this topic

Why does a small mintmark on a coin matter so much? I can't even think of buying a no mintmark US coin from 1838 on when from that time new mints began operations and each had their own mintmark on their output. In most cases the Philadelphia minted coins are the best struck and most eye appealing. But still they don't have mintmarks. This all goes away when collecting pre-1838 bust coinage of all types thank heavens.

Thoughts?

Best, HT

For me there is something romantic and historically interesting about the coins from the Charlotte and Dahlonega mints. This was driven home for me when I had the chance to see the site of the Dahlonega mint despite the fact that the only thing left is the foundation of the original building. That interest is enhanced by the books a few authors have written on the subject. One of the best is The Neighborhood Mint by Sylvia Gailey Head and Elizabeth W. Etheridge. It's mostly a history book and not a numismatic work, but it provides a wonderful background of what it was like to get that mint up and running.

Here are a few photos.

The foundation and marker

DahlonegaMintFoundation.jpg

Foundation in back.

DSCN0157.jpg

Gold nugget and 1849-D gold dollar

1849-DDolNugget.jpg

An 1838-D five dollar gold ... One of the first coins struck at the Dahlonega mint

1838-D5O.jpg1838-D5R.jpg

Bill, yes I think that is part of it, the romance and history of the 'pioneer' mints, the C, D, and O mintmarks are particularly addicting to me, and the CC and S as well. Mabye VP has the right answer, collect proofs which are always completely stunning. Love the Dahlonega images!

Best, HT

Here is another reason. This 1854-S gold dollar was struck the first year the San Francisco mint opened. From what I have read working there was hell with acid fumes and poor ventilation. Many mint workers came down with illnesses. This coin is far from common, but, unlike the quarter eagle, it is obtainable.

1854-SGoldDollarO.jpg1854-SGoldDollarR.jpg

Here is another reason. This 1854-S gold dollar was struck the first year the San Francisco mint opened. From what I have read working there was hell with acid fumes and poor ventilation. Many mint workers came down with illnesses. This coin is far from common, but, unlike the quarter eagle, it is obtainable.

1854-SGoldDollarO.jpg1854-SGoldDollarR.jpg

The 54-S is high on my want list, just haven't been able to obtain the right example. Oh, but so is the quarter eagle, half eagle, and the '48 Cal quarter eagle. That sums up my 4 favorite coins! But only one is obtainable unless I his jackpot on the lottery!

Best, HT

To answer the question posed, "What is it about mintmarks?" one might perhaps ask Augustus Heaton were it not for the fact that he died over 80 years ago. But his book in which he popularized collecting by mintmarks, A Treatise on Coinage of the United States Branch Mints published near 1900, remains a short, interesting, and enjoyable read.

Mark

Another element to the mint marks is that in your mind it brings you to a place in history where working in the mint was not only dangerous (as indicated above) but was also 20-30 years before the light bulb was invented.

Everything you will ever see was minted using daylight or lanterns.

Can't you just envision a guy, grimy hands and clothes, lacking of higher learning busting his hump to feed his family at a time where every element of life itself was hard in every sense of the word?

Humbling to think where we came from.

Mintmarks add flavor to coin collecting -- kind of a minty; a taste that can surprise and fascinate the numismatic brain buds. Each little letter or symbol opens epicurean worlds and vistas not previously perceived. Who ever heard of Dahlonega Georgia? Nothing. Barely a muddy track through the forest. But, add the little “D” and suddenly it is part of a larger flavor garni with a touch of the exotic and secret.

Why does a small mintmark on a coin matter so much? I can't even think of buying a no mintmark US coin from 1838 on when from that time new mints began operations and each had their own mintmark on their output. In most cases the Philadelphia minted coins are the best struck and most eye appealing. But still they don't have mintmarks. This all goes away when collecting pre-1838 bust coinage of all types thank heavens.

Thoughts?

Best, HT

In some cases, it is exactly because "the best struck and most eye appealing" coins were struck in one place that coins of high quality, with mint marks, become very important finds.