• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956-D RPM#1 Lincoln Cent Mintmark in Stereo

24 posts in this topic

The first two images are a stereo pair... "crosseye" stereo to be exact. The right image should be viewed with your left eye, and left image with your right eye, so you must cross your eyes to see the effect. The images are rendered from a slightly different perspective, similar to what your eye would see if there was an actual 3-Dimensional object in place on your screen rather than two 2-Dimensional images. If you cross your eyes just right, such that the images appear to overlap, then your brain will reconstruct the images to simulate a 3-dimensional object and create an illusion of depth perception.

Ray, those are absolutely incredible. I really like what you've done here. Do you have any doubled dies you can do the same with, both real and mechanically doubled?

Well I do not seem to be able to cross my eyes, however I still find the photos to be stunning.

Out of curiosity and not to get off topic, What is your avatar?

You can PM me if you do not want to derail this thread, or just start a new one.

Jim

Thanks for the compliments! I do have some doubled dies (Lincolns) and will likely image them with this technique. Maybe some BIEs, and machine doubling to compare. The results came out a lot better than expected so I'm pretty happy.

My avatar is a 1956 D & S OMM.

Ray

Here's a 1949-S Lincoln Cent DDO#3 presented with a couple of techniques.

Unprocessed image using 5x magnification, 25-stack of images:

49SDDO3-2D_01.jpg

Unprocessed image using 10x magnification, 36-stack of images:

49SDDO3-2D-2_01.jpg

3D processed 10x image but looking straight on to compare with unprocessed:

49SDDO3-00090.jpg

3D processed 10x image looking at 45-deg from 9:00:

49SDDO3-90045.jpg

3D processed 10x image looking at 45-deg from 2:00

49SDDO3-20045.jpg

I think this technique is useful to help visualize these kind of variety details in a similar way to viewing then with a microscope, at least the way I view them. I'm not so sure the 3D versions of these is all that useful, but some may like them. I find them kind of gimmicky, and while they can be sort of cool they don't offer any more information than the 2-D perspective views above. If you disagree, let me know. It's not too hard to include 3D versions of these.

Ray

I really like the 3D views. It may not be the most useful on this particular coin, but I bet if you did a thread with similar 3D views showing the different types of doubling and look-alikes (machine, die deterioration, Longacre, etc) - I'll bet that would be *incredibly* helpful for a lot of people.

I really like the 3D views. It may not be the most useful on this particular coin, but I bet if you did a thread with similar 3D views showing the different types of doubling and look-alikes (machine, die deterioration, Longacre, etc) - I'll bet that would be *incredibly* helpful for a lot of people.
+1

I have trouble understanding/identifying many things coin related. That's why I rarely post and just read. I don't have enough knowledge to give advise. This 3D view could help someone like me learn a whole lot more about coins.

I hope the OP starts a WYNTK thread. :wishluck:

I'm open to a WYNTK thread but not sure about the scope of information. What are you guys thinking should be described? It's not likely many folks will want to put together a 3D imaging setup, so would the scope be to image a few different types of varieties or pseudo-varieties and explain the differences, with the benefit of 3D imaging?

The process is called focus stacking and consists of taking a series of photos at different focus planes and then using software to create a composite image using only the in-focus parts. There are several software packages that will do this such as Zerene Stacker, Helicon Focus, and probably even Photoshop. The software creates a "depth map" as it moves through the stack of images, so it knows the relative depth of the in-focus parts it includes in the final image, and can then use this depth map to create variable-angle perspective representations of the image.

I was out of town over last few days so didn't have opportunity to take any more images, but I've just completed some pics of Machine Damage doubling on a 1956-D Lincoln Cent. I looked through a bunch of coins to find something that I could compare to die doubling, and found some nice machine doubling on the LIBERTY. I think this will compare nicely with, for instance, one of the 1957-D DDOs that show doubling in this same area. I still need to pick the best 57-D to compare to, and take pics, but thought I'd publish the MD examples for comment. Once I get all the images together I will put them into a WYNTK post.

Here is the original, straight-on image of the 56-D MD on TY of LIBERTY:

MD4_01.jpg

Here is a single-image representation rendered at a slight angle from 3:00 to show the MD "shelf"

MD4-30080-1.jpg

Here is a cross-eye 3D representation of the above image:

MD4-30080-3D2.jpg

Here is a single-image at a fairly large angle from 6:00:

MD4-60030.jpg

And here is a 3D of the above:

MD4-60030-3D2.jpg

These seem to show the "shelf" of the machine damage doubling fairly well. They are not a super-dramatic example of MDD, but I think they will compare well with die doubling examples from the 57-D DDOs.

Feedback appreciated...are these clear enough? Large enough? Do the views show the shelf well enough? Does the 3D character show well enough?

Am hoping to get a little feedback if I'm on the right track using this 56-D Cent with MDD as the example in a WYNTK post comparing MD vs DD, or should I look for a more dramatic example. Also, are the views I've provided sufficient for showing the MD well enough...Ray

I know Mark well, but am just not sure what you meant by "has used this" and was hoping for an example. If you mean that he has posted many high magnification shots, I'm not so sure. Most of what I've seen him post has been at lower magnifications...Ray