• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Approximate Markup on coins?

7 posts in this topic

I'm not a dealer, just a collector and would like to know the approxmate markup from wholesale prices to retail by the average dealer.

I see such a difference from one add to another for the same slabbed coin.

Thanks,

DblEag

It depends on a lot of factors. Does the dealer like you, his original cost, was he lucky (graded higher than he thought), how popular the item is, does he have more in stock, does he have other customers wanting to purchase this item, does he need to turn this item into cash, etc....

Common stuff I would expect around 10% mark-up.

Uncommon stuff I would expect 20%-40%.

I usually get 20% back of the Grey Sheet, depending on how strong the coin is. I try to buy at 10% above Grey Sheet, but again it depends on how strong the coin is.

I know that this a phosphoric answer, but all depends on the strike, eye appeal et cetera...........

whatever ythe market will bear............ but usually if you are a coin seller and a coin seller with intergrity you usually mark up something within reason so it is a good value for your customers!!!!!

well that is what i would do and keeping in mind that the coin seller has to make a living also!!

sincerely michael

only buy great coins! a great coin is something with value for the money and super eye appeal