• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1894-O and 1882 O/S- GTG and opnions , both slabbed by old ANACS

23 posts in this topic

1882 O/S I would say AU58, looks like it has a rub on the breast feathers, wingtip and on the hairline. Nice slider though in my opinion.

1894 O improperly cleaned but technical grade of AU50.

Thanks for your opinions. Both are in "old" generation ANACS slabs. Both are in "problem free" holders. I understand that does not guarantee problem free.

Any more?

I'm considering crossing over. I got the 1894-O at a good price. The 1882-O/S I paid average money....

The 1882-O/S is actually MS62 and the 1894-O is AU55

I'll post pics of slabs when I get home

Edited: the 94 has some nice, consistent luster on the reverse under the darkness

I am NOT surprised at the MS 62 grade for the 1882 O/S. I was just being conservative, in my grading. It is really a nice looking coin with no evidence of wear (from the images)---images are so tough to grade from.

Redllama: I am. I'm a little worried about the 94-O. I hope NGC doesn't feel that its ED'ed.

But in hand, there is quite a bit of luster under it....I hope that helps.

The 1882 should come back with flying colors.

I am only sending them to be in my registry set. I caught the bug! Otherwise I wouldn't care who's name is on it

Plus I need to get some use from my membership fees :-)

Redllama: I am. I'm a little worried about the 94-O. I hope NGC doesn't feel that its ED'ed.

I don't think the dark toning has progressed to the point of damage to the coin, so that shouldn't keep the coin from grading (at least in my opinion). Do you have any additional images of the obverse? The photos make the 1894-O difficult for me to examine the surfaces very well. I think that may be why there were "details" guesses. Assuming that the surfaces are fine, I could see that coin grading as high as AU55.

Before you send the coin in, I do want to make sure that you understand NGC's crossover policy. Only PCGS coins will be reviewed in their original holders, and all other coins must either be broken out of the TPG slab by the submitter or the submitter must authorize NGC to do the same before grading. In short, it is treated as a raw coin. This is the ONLY reason that I even have a Collector's Club account ATS (in addition to my NGC membership).

Whenever breaking a coin from a slab, there is always a risk that you may have missed something or that there may be something that doesn't show in the photos. Many still treasure these slabs, but at the same time, there is no longer a guarantee for old ANACS coins (or at least that is my understanding). There are pros and cons to cracking it out. I just want to make sure that you understand the risks. It's all about risk and reward and your tolerance for the former.

With regards to conservation, NCS will probably dip the coin or give it a bath in MS70 to neutralize what could be construed as leftover residue from an improper dip/rinse. I would probably leave it alone personally, and sell it if you don't like the way it looks.

Please post the results when you do decide how to submit and get them back. I love these type threads so I can assess my grading ability.