• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOT COINS, but sterling silver flatwear.....

13 posts in this topic

I guess you would have to weigh them and do a quick search. Look like on eBay about 15-20 per spoon/fork.

One listing says a large spoon weighs 3 ounces and it sold for 45ish so no premium there.

I'm not into flatware, but my understanding is that it's mostly a "melt" market these days (except for fancy stuff), because so few people actually use sterling flatware anymore.

You might check the website of Replacements Ltd. to see what they're selling this pattern for.

What's up with the spoon with the wider handle? It looks older than the other pieces and that looks like either tarnish or else silver plate that's flaking off the end of the handle.

I would hate to say this but that kind of stuff comes into the shop all of the time, at this point unless its ornate its pretty much scrap silver. The sterling sets that are selling are usually very ornate and are form very better makers (Tiffany, Gorham, among others). As far as replacements Ltd goes there prices are way high and do not accurately reflect their buying prices, using them as a price reference would be like trying to sell coins to dealers at double red book prices.

Perhaps I assumed too much, but here's the long version of my recommendation:

See if Replacements Ltd. (a large website with a lot of inventory) is selling this pattern for about the same or a lot more than their prices for a similar pattern. If they're selling it for about the same price, then you know what you have is nothing special.

Replacements Ltd.is sort-of the Littleton of the table setting world - large inventory but margins wide enough to support their heavy advertising program. Of course, Littleton does pay a bit more than other dealers, but they're very fussy buyers.

Why are you posting this thread in the Numismatic forums? It seems that you are seeking info on silver melt prices. BST may be more appropriate.

carl

I guess you would have to weigh them and do a quick search. Look like on eBay about 15-20 per spoon/fork.

One listing says a large spoon weighs 3 ounces and it sold for 45ish so no premium there.

When you weigh them, be aware that the knives have steel blades and frequently have hollow handles with some kind of filler. Don't take a low ball offer that frequently come from coin dealers. There are refineries that buy scrap silver that will pay more.

I've melted flatware a LOT nicer than that State House.....It's sad.....

It's tough enough getting a premium for real flatware, like Grand Baroque and such these days.....

Paul