• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1946 Iowa Commemorative- GTG! Grade Revealed in last post!

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! So I bought a couple of new lenses for my camera setup and I have been playing with the 105mm Nikon Micro-Nikkor lens. The other lens will be here tomorrow. I haven't posted a GTG in a while and so I thought I would share this coin with you all.

1946IowaFullCoin_zpsd8ab46e2.png

If I am not mistaken, I know that exact coin and had it in my possession for quite a while so I will abstain.

Am I wrong about that Justin?

Bill

Yes that coin is a nice example, other than that one dot and it's location, but as I suspected many would guess MS-67.

Your pictures are much better than mine were. lol

My first thought on the coin was at least 66. I was glad to see that others were calling it a 67. If you could, can you post single images of the obverse and reverse at about 800x800 resolution? Thanks!

The only distraction I see is the small spot above the eagle. So, while I wish it weren't there, my grade guess is still MS67.

I think that spot is less offensive because it almost appears where a "last" star would appear

My first thought on the coin was at least 66. I was glad to see that others were calling it a 67. If you could, can you post single images of the obverse and reverse at about 800x800 resolution? Thanks!

I'll sure do it! I'll post those when I get home from work later on!

Thanks for the guesses so far everyone!

Per your request Coindude! Here ya go!

1946IowaFullObv_zps9130d07b.png

1946IowaFullRev_zps7331d98f.png

Hits on Eagles head, larger hit on dome and hits on left column of building are the most notable. Add in the scattered contact marks in the clouds - keeps it from a 67 imho.

I'm thinking a very nice 66. (thumbs u

I would vote MS66. A bit of "chatter" on the eagles head, and some small bit in the clouds on the reverse. Lovely design, and very nice images.

-Brandon

Thanks for the guesses everyone! Here's what PCGS thought about this coin. If it weren't for the bit of chatter and the small spot above the Eagle on the Obverse, I think this coin could have made a 67. I may send it in one of these days for a crossover, but I am happy with where the coin is now.

1946IowaFullCoin-Label_zpscc9149cf.png