• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ratty, Dog Eared $1 Silver Certificate Recieved in Change *Truth Revealed*

17 posts in this topic

We have several brick and mortars around here..... one is run by the fellow I bought my first "old" coin from over 40 years ago.... an 1849 Large Cent.... but I digress. He has a large stack of very sharp Silver Certificates that he sells for 3 (or 4 ?)bucks each. I usually get one each time I visit.... they're neat. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

With the serial number 1, I have no doubt at all that it would command a nice premium. Heck, I would buy it from you if you're selling.

Heck YES Woody, it is worth a definite premium. Folks used to collect these things just to play poker with those 7 zeros.

If it were me, I'd put it on Ebay----and see what you get. Heading should indicate the serial number.

Great find Woody. Bob [supertooth]

What is bothersome is, What is a Number 1 Series 1928 silver certificate doing in circulation in 2013? A note like this, even with the damaged corner, hasn't just been sitting around in a random cash hoard for the past 82 years waiting for someone to be short a buck for his smokes.

Photoshop anyone?

Or better yet wikimedia?

OK...Busted, there hasn't been much activity here in Numismatics General, so I thought I'd liven things up a bit, (did anyone catch the 'wink' in the title?)

In 1928 the size and design of United States banknotes changed dramatically. Small size (relative to their predecessors) Silver Certificates were issued in 1928 with a series date of 1928 and subsequently United States Notes with a series date of 1928 were issued in 1933. The examples above are the very first notes of their type (i.e., both serial number 1) to be printed. Despite paper flaws with the two exemplars illustrated above, they possess great rarity and numismatic significance. From the Treasury Department Collection at the National Numismatic Collection, Smithsonian Institution.

I enjoyed your post. It gave me a reason to drop in on the Smithsonian since I had not been over there in a while. They have some extremely beautiful examples of coinage to view.

I suggest you take yonico and others up on the offer to buy though. Better do it quick before they change their mind. ;)

Woody----Was sitting with my son, Dave----- telling him about this note. Both of us thinking how unusual it would be to find such a note out there in today's times.

My thought was that it may have been stolen out of a collection and just respent. Me, like a FOOL, I trusted you. Ha! I should have known better.

Yes, we need folks like you----BADLY. In these days and times, a little HUMOR goes a long way. And, it is NEEDED more than ever today. Don't ever loose that sense of humor my friend. Bob [supertooth]

P.S. I guess it is fitting that my 1,000 post is here----as I usually don't post much these days and years unless I feel the need.

I feel honored that you choose this thread into which once again, you showed your grace, honor and spirit to the collecting of coins, for it it collectors such as yourself that this hobby needs in times like these.

I did not know this note (funny back) serial no #1 even existed, I happened upon it by chance and decided to devilishly work it into the now seldom catch all of the Numismatic General Forum. I had to run out all the crickets in here before I could even hear myself think, it was that bad.

Have we come full circle?