• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 50 cent tour of 1925?

21 posts in this topic

I grew up in northern California before the state was completely overpopulated. As a kid I used to go to the rivers and creeks in the gold country and pan for gold. I found only a few large flakes and small nuggets that way, but one spot that I used to pan at became a modern-day gold field and vultures staked claims. There was some money made by them, but not me. Nevertheless, my fascination with gold mining in the days of the 49ers and all of what wild California was about never died.

BTW, I once found a small nugget of gold in a doorstep made of river sand. smile.gif Still have that.

I worked as a park ranger for years, 2 of which were along the American River Parkway. I used to demonstrate gold panning and sluice mining techniques to park visitors. Had a blast.

Today, California commems are my favorites and I have long looked for choice specimens to add to my collection. I have the San Diego and the Bay Bridge, but just added the California Diamond Jubilee. Thanks to Darin Whittaker and his great taste for color, I "hit pay dirt!" I've seen but a few of these sweeties that were colored so, and none that were affordable. This one made my day...

615181-1925-S%20Cal%20Diam%20Jub%2050c%20MS64%20NGC%20obv%2004-829.jpg

615182-1925-S%20Cal%20Diam%20Jub%2050c%20MS64%20NGC%20rev%2004-829.jpg

Thought a few of you tone-lovers would appreciate that! cloud9.gif

Hoot

Mark,

Killer Cal !! I too am fascinated with the 'gold rush days'. I grab a fractional when the spirit moves me. Sometimes a token.....Very neat stuff....

A California like that one would make my day too !

Paul

Niiiiice CA commem. That's a great piece. Seems you've got the art of painting down cold. You certainly don't need me to teach you...heh

jom

That's a very cool coin, Mark, and a terrific story.

So, did you just shoot those modern, wannabe gold miners and dispose of their bodies in a little acid dip? 893whatthe.gif

Wonderful California Mark! It’s tough to find these with any kind of decent color. California’s generally come very lustrous and what I like about this coin is that the toning has not appeared to have interfered with the coins luster, I can still see very nice luster shining up from beneath the toning. I can picture rotating the coin under a light and seeing a dazzling effect of color and luster.

Congrats on your new addition! thumbsup2.gif

John

That's a very cool coin, Mark, and a terrific story.

So, did you just shoot those modern, wannabe gold miners and dispose of their bodies in a little acid dip? 893whatthe.gif

Thank you all for the comments! grin.gif I love the coin. John is right about the luster. The luster shining up through the color really makes the coin. And Roger is correct that it made my heart skip a beat! My thanks again to bigD5 (Darin Whittaker) who was keeping an eye out for me. angel.gif

As for that gold field, it was on a section of Butte Creek in California, which had yielded its fair share of gold over the course of time. I chose the section of creek because it was downstream from a gravel operation and I figured that the gravel mining likely stirred up gold that was buried deeper in the stream bed. I would get pan after pan of "color" with the occasional nice flake. I just was not equipped well enough or knowledgeable enough at the time to really get to where the gold was. Anyhow, some prospectors noticed me one day and came down and talked to me. At 16 I was quite naive and told them of my successes. Next thing I knew, they had filed claim and so had several others along the stretch of creek for about a half a mile. They worked it for a couple of years for all it was worth - which was plenty. I was "unwelcome" once the claim was filed.

Those were my pre- "I have an acid bath waiting for you" days. insane.gif Prospectors at that time also carried side arms, which was a little intimidating to a kid. I'd have rather gone swimming in the creek than have dealt with all that! laugh.gif

Hoot

Outstanding commem Mark! Makes me want to drop my FSers and take up coins like this one! nah. Too expensive.

On a separate note, back in the mid 70's, I worked a 3" dredge in Idaho and Southern Oregon (I think the Illinois River). Also panned the Klamath and the north fork of the Yuba River. Like you, very little luck with the panning but the dredging was a different story! Found enough flake and rice sized nuggets to pay for the dredge, the wet suit and the trip! Sold to a jeweler in Seattle.

There just ain't no feelin like the one you get when you find your first gleaming nugget!

There just ain't no feelin like the one you get when you find your first gleaming nugget!

You guys make me want to quit my job and get going !!!

Paul

Paul,

I always wanted to head up to Alaska to dredge some small stream hoping to find enough to keep living there. Too old for that now but the dream still lives. If you're under 30, you could give it a try, but you'd better be in good physical shape as there would be many things to do before you'd even test the area you're interested in.

Ever see the movie "Pale Rider" with Clint Eastwood? There's this one scene when a miner finally gets a big boulder in a stream out of his way and finds a football-sized quartz/gold nugget. The feeling he portrayed (and the music helped!) did justice to the real eye-popping, heart-thumping reaction one gets. Size doesn't matter. It's only in the finding that counts.

Hey, I've done a little panhandling gold myself.....handling it that is! 27_laughing.gif Great life story there Hoot! Who doesn't like gold! Whenever I've run out of luck finding what I collect, if the coin show has it, there's nothing like buying a few gold nuggets!

Leo

Hi David,

As for being under thirty...Well, I was...about 20 years ago ! You're right though, the dream still lives. I'm sure that is some of my motivation whenever I pick up a piece of Cal gold fractional. I'll look at it and imagine who would have held it, or used it, or even struck it.....Of course, I love reading about the subject and this is a great story that Mark has started here. I can't imagine panning or dredging when I was 16. That lucky dog !!

I'll have to look for that scene in 'Pale Rider'...That's one of those movies that I don't think I've even gone through in it's entirety. It's on all the time though, and I'm sure I'll catch it again.

Paul

PS- Isn't it amazing, all the emotion that a pretty California half can stir up?

Nice commen, Mark. I used to pan the Rive Chaudier in eastern Quebec when I was a teenager. Found a few small nuggets and lots of color. The Chaudier had been pretty well dredged by the time I came along, but no one ever found the source of all the gold that came from that river.

Nice commen, Mark. I used to pan the Rive Chaudier in eastern Quebec when I was a teenager. Found a few small nuggets and lots of color. The Chaudier had been pretty well dredged by the time I came along, but no one ever found the source of all the gold that came from that river.

That's the cool thing about small-scale sliuce and hydraulic techniques - they satisfy the appetite for discovery while maintaining the overall mystery! I still love to pan for gold for that very reason. Not all of the sources will ever be known or understood. smile.gif

Hoot